|4th President of Norfolk State University|
|Preceded by||Marie McDemmond|
|Succeeded by||Tony Atwater|
|President of Jackson State University|
2010 – Effective November 1, 2016
|Born||Newport News, Virginia|
|Alma mater||Howard University
Georgia Institute of Technology
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University
Carolyn Winstead Meyers is the former president of Jackson State University. Meyers, a native of Newport News, Virginia, earned a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from Howard University. She earned a master's degree in mechanical engineering from the Georgia Tech in 1979, and a doctorate in chemical engineering from Georgia Tech in 1984. She completed post doctoral work at Harvard University.
Meyers held the position of steam generator and systems analyst for General Electric. She has also held faculty and administrative positions at Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta University Center Corporation, and National Science Foundation.
She served as provost, vice chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College of Engineering at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, where she was also a tenured professor in the College of Engineering. She was the Associate Dean of Research for the Georgia Tech College of Engineering.
On February 3, 2006, Meyers was named as President of Norfolk State University, and she assumed her duties on July 1, 2006. As president, Meyers raised more funds than any previous president in the history of the institution, including an anonymous donation of $3.5 million just last year.[when?] Additionally, under her leadership, Norfolk conducted more research than at any other time in its history.
Awards and honors
Meyers has been inducted into the Georgia Tech Academy of Distinguished Engineering Alumni, Sigma Xi honor society, Phi Kappa Phi honor society, and Tau Beta Pi honor society. She is also the recipient of the NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award, the Society of Automotive Engineers' Ralph A. Teetor Award, and the National Society of Black Engineers' Golden Torch Award.
Meyers is the parent of three adult children and the grandmother of three.
- "Biosketch: Carolyn Winstead Meyers, Ph.D.". Norfolk State University. Archived from the original on 2010-05-27. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
- "Dr. Carolyn Meyers, MS ME '79, PhD ChE '84, Has Been Named President of Jackson State University". Georgia Tech School of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering. 2010-12-02. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
- "Morgan announces finalists in search for new president". Morgan State University. 2009-11-03. Archived from the original on 2009-11-06. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- "Norfolk State President Carolyn W. Meyers to resign". WTKR.com. WTKR-TV. 2010-01-04. Archived from the original on 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- "Dr. Carolyn W. Meyers named preferred candidate for presidency of Jackson State University". Jackson State University. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
Marie V. McDemmond
Norfolk State University
2006 — 2010
Jackson State University