Carolyne Van Vliet
|Carolyne Van Vliet|
December 27, 1929|
|Died||July 15, 2016
|Fields||Physicist and electronic engineer|
|Institutions||University of Miami
Université de Montréal
University of Minnesota
Florida International University
|Alma mater||Vrije Universiteit|
|Doctoral advisor||Gerardus J. Sizoo|
|Other academic advisors||Hendrik Casimir
|Doctoral students||François M. Klaassen
Ayivi G. K. Huisso
Ronaldo S. Duran
Andres J. Barrios
|Known for||Generation-recombination noise
Foundations of linear response theory
|Notable awards||Fulbright (1956)|
Carolyne Marina Van Vliet (1929 – 2016) was a Dutch-born American physicist notable for the theory of generation-recombination noise and for the theory of quantum transport in nonequilibrium statistical mechanics, as well as for her many contributions to the foundations of Linear Response Theory. She was a Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS) and of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
Van Vliet obtained a BS in physics and mathematics, in 1949, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam. Then from the same university Van Vliet obtained an MA in physics, in 1953, and a PhD in 1956 for a thesis entitled Current Fluctuations in Semiconductors and Photoconductors, under Gerardus J. Sizoo.
Van Vliet was first a Teaching Assistant (1949–1953) at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam, then a NV Philips Research Fellow (1953–1956) at the same university. This was followed by an appointment as a Fulbright Fellow, at the Electrical Engineering Department at the University of Minnesota (1956–1957), rising to assistant professor there. During 1958-1960, Van Vliet was appointed as 'Conservator' in the Department of Physics at the Vrije Universiteit and then was appointed at the University of Minnesota (1960–1970) rising to professor. In 1969-1995, Van Vliet was Professor of Theoretical Physics at the Centre de Recherches Mathématiques of the Université de Montréal, then, during 1992-2000, became Professor at Florida International University in Miami. Her last position was as adjunct Professor of Physics at the University of Miami.
Books by Van Vliet
- K. M. van Vliet, Current Fluctuations in Semiconductors and Photoconductors, Ph.D. thesis, (copyrighted) Excelsior Press, The Hague, Netherlands, 1956.
- K. M. van Vliet, Elektronica, Collegedictaat, 1958 (copyright VU).
- K. M. van Vliet and J. R. Fassett " Fluctuations due to Electronic Transitions and Transport in Solids" in Fluctuation Phenomena in Solids (R.E. Burgess, Ed.), (copyright Academic Press) Academic Press, NY, 1965.
- Carolyne M. Van Vliet, "Ninth International Conference on Noise in Physical Systems" (Ed.), (copyright WSPC) World Scientific Publishing Company, Singapore 1987.
- Carolyne M. Van Vliet, Equilibrium and Non-equilibrium Statistical Mechanics, (copyright Carolyne M. Van Vliet) World Scientific Publishing Company, Singapore and New Jersey, 2008. ISBN 981-270-477-9 (Hardcover) and ISBN 981-270-478-7 (pbk).
- Marquis Who's Who in America
- Marquis Who's Who in Frontiers of Science and Technology
- Who's Who in the World (2000, 2002)
- American Men and Women of Science
- "A&S:News Archive-Remembering Adjunct Professor of Physics at the UM College of Arts and Sciences, Dr. Carolyne M. Van Vliet". miami.edu. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "Letters: Jun. 7, 1999". 7 June 1999. Retrieved 13 April 2017 – via www.time.com.
- "Publications Carolyne M". miami.edu. Retrieved 13 April 2017.