Carpool Karaoke is a recurring segment on The Late Late Show with James Corden in which James Corden, the host of the show, invites famous musical guests to sing along to their songs with him whilst he is driving on a planned route usually in Los Angeles, usually under the pretense of needing to get to work and preferring to use the high-occupancy vehicle lane, or the pretext of needing directions from a local when in a new town, such as London (from Adele) or Liverpool (from Paul McCartney) or New York City (from Madonna).
Corden explained that the segment was inspired by a Gavin & Stacey-themed sketch he had participated in for the British charity television special Red Nose Day 2011, in which he sang along with George Michael in a car.
For the 2014 documentary When Corden Met Barlow which aired on BBC One, Corden included a 6 minute 45 second Carpool Karaoke segment in the documentary with singer-songwriter Gary Barlow of Take That. The documentary was directed by Ben Winston. Corden explained that "Ben Winston and I always thought there was something very joyful about someone very, very famous singing their songs in an ordinary situation. We just had this idea: Los Angeles, traffic, the carpool lane — maybe this is something we could pull off."
The segments, which have featured artists such as Mariah Carey, Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars, Britney Spears, Stevie Wonder, Demi Lovato, Ariana Grande, Katy Perry, Selena Gomez, One Direction, Adele, Shawn Mendes, Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran, Sia, Carrie Underwood and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, became viral videos on the Late Late Show's YouTube channel. A January 2016 Carpool Karaoke segment featuring Adele reached 42 million YouTube views within 5 days, making it the most popular video originating from a late night program since 2013, continuing on to gather 182 million as of 25 June 2018. As of 25 June 2018[update], three other segments have received 100+ million YouTube views: Justin Bieber's first visit at 134.5 million views, One Direction at 125.8 million , Sia with 102 million. and Bruno Mars with 89 million views.A segment featuring a non-musician, then-current First Lady Michelle Obama (eventually joined by Missy Elliott on one song) was released in 2016 and has reached over 62.7 million views as of 25 June 2018.
On March 29, 2016, CBS aired a primetime special featuring highlights of the segment, and a new edition with Jennifer Lopez. The special won a 2016 Emmy Award for Outstanding Variety Special. The Red Hot Chili Peppers appeared on the June 13, 2016 segment. During the filming, singer Anthony Kiedis saved the life of a baby. Kiedis later said, "A woman came out of her house, holding a child, saying, 'My baby, my baby, my baby can't breathe!' We all ran across the street, the woman thrust the baby into my arms, the baby was not breathing and I thought, 'I'm gonna try and do a little baby CPR real quick, see if I can get some air in this kid.' Tried to open the mouth, [it was] like locked shut. So I started rubbing the belly, bubbles came out of the mouth, the eyes rolled back into place, the ambulance showed up and I handed the baby over, who was now breathing and fine, and we went back to Carpool Karaoke."
The guests in chronological order appearing on the Carpool Karaoke segment of the show.
|#||Episode||Guest(s)||Date of first broadcast||Songs|
(eventually joined by Melissa McCarthy)
|April 23, 2018||"Fighter" |
"Genie in a Bottle"
|May 16, 2018||"Fall in Line"|
|43||490||Adam Levine||May 24, 2018||"Moves Like Jagger" |
"She Will Be Loved"
|44||491||Shawn Mendes||June 4, 2018||"There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" |
"In My Blood"
"Treat You Better"
"Lost in Japan"
|45||502||Paul McCartney||June 21, 2018||"Drive My Car" |
"Let It Be"
"When I'm Sixty-Four"
"Come On To Me"
"A Hard Day's Night"
"Love Me Do"
"Back in the U.S.S.R."
|46||519||Ariana Grande||August 16, 2018||"Dangerous Woman" |
"Side to Side"
"God Is a Woman"
"No Tears Left to Cry"
The Late Late Show Primetime Special
Special broadcasts on prime time (10 pm) highlighting the Carpool Karaoke segment of The Late Late Show. The first show broadcast on March 29, 2016 on CBS won the Primetime Emmy Awards 2016 for "Outstanding Variety Special" category.
|Episode||Guest(s)||Date of first broadcast|
|1||Highlights from past segments,
James Corden's favorite moments from his first year as host of the show
Jennifer Lopez (new)
|March 29, 2016|
|2||Bruno Mars, Crosswalk Musical,
Highlights from past segments,
Dance skit with Jennifer Lopez,
Katy Perry (new)
|May 22, 2017|
|3||"Carpool Karaoke" with musician Christina Aguilera
"Crosswalk the Musical: The Sound of Music" with actors Kunal Nayyar, Iain Armitage and actresses Allison Janney and Anna Faris.
|April 23, 2018|
Apple Music series
In 2016, Apple Music announced that it would distribute a TV series, based on Corden's segment, called Carpool Karaoke: The Series. The series premiered on August 8, 2017, with new episodes each Wednesday, available to Apple Music subscribers. The Linkin Park - Ken Jeong episode was recorded less than a week before Chester Bennington's death, and is dedicated in his memory. On February 15, 2018, it was renewed for a second season.
In popular culture
Spike announced plans in 2016 to air a series inspired by the segment titled "Caraoke Showdown", to be hosted by Craig Robinson. Dubai TV bought the Arabic version of "Carpool Karaoke” in 2017 and its first episode is planned to air in February 2018, to be hosted by Hisham Howaish.
In Israel, a local version of Carpool Karaoke was produced for channel 11 (Kan).
- Mclean, Craig (March 24, 2017). "James Corden and Take That reveal the secrets of Carpool Karaoke". Radio Times. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Littleton, Cynthia. "Apple Music Buys 'Carpool Karaoke' TV Series". Variety. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- Kastrenakes, Jacob (May 30, 2016). "Apple's Carpool Karaoke series will debut August 8th after Delay". The Verge.
- "Smithy to the Rescue – Red Nose Day 2011 – BBC Comic Relief Night". YouTube. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- BBC One: When Corden Met Barlow
- "James Corden's 5 most viral 'Late Late Show' clips". New York Post. Retrieved December 25, 2015.
- "The secret behind James Corden's 'Carpool Karaoke' sensation". New York Post. Retrieved December 25, 2015.
- "Niall Horan Answers Selena Gomez Marriage Question in Carpool Karaoke: Watch". Billboard. Retrieved December 25, 2015.
- "'Adele Carpool Karaoke' Most Viral Late-Night Video Since 2013". Variety. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
- James Corden (2016-01-13). Adele Carpool Karaoke (YouTube). London. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- James Corden (2015-05-20). Justin Bieber Carpool Karaoke (YouTube). Los Angeles. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- James Corden (2015-12-15). One Direction Carpool Karaoke (YouTube). Los Angeles. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- James Corden (2016-02-16). Sia Carpool Karaoke (YouTube). Los Angeles. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- James Corden (2016-07-20). First Lady Michelle Obama Carpool Karaoke (YouTube). Washington, D.C. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- "James Corden 'Carpool Karaoke' Primetime Special to Air on CBS". Variety. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "The Late Late Show Carpool Karaoke Prime Time Special". Television Academy. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Anthony Kiedis saved a baby's life while filming Carpool Karaoke". consequenceofsound.net. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- "Red Hot Chili Peppers to Sing Hits on 'Carpool Karaoke'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- "Demi Lovato & Nick Jonas Carpool Karaoke". The Late Late Show with James Corden. YouTube. May 16, 2016. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- Porter, Rick (July 26, 2016). "'Carpool Karaoke' will become a series ... on Apple Music". TV by the Numbers.
- Chmielewski, Dawn C. (February 15, 2018). "Apple Renews Carpool Karaoke For Second Season". Deadline. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- "Apple Music Preview: Seth MacFarlane & Ariana Grande", Carpool Karaoke, August 22, 2017
- Goldberg, Lesley (February 4, 2016). "Spike Orders 'Caraoke Showdown' Hosted by Craig Robinson (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth. "Spike TV Greenlights 'Caraoke Showdown' Series Hosted by Craig Robinson". Variety.