New South Wales
Location in New South Wales
|Population||2,733 (2015 est)|
|• Density||0.144354/km2 (0.37388/sq mi)|
|Area||18,932.61 km2 (7,309.9 sq mi)|
|Region||Riverina and Far West|
The Carrathool Shire is a local government area that borders both the Riverina and Far West regions of New South Wales, Australia. The Shire comprises 18,933 square kilometres (7,310 sq mi) and is located adjacent to the Mid-Western Highway and north of the Sturt Highway.
Where once regular droughts made life almost untenable, the area now has irrigated crops, gardens, greened sporting facilities and village verges. Over 15,000 square kilometres (5,800 sq mi) are now used in rural pursuits, including more than 600 square kilometres (230 sq mi) in wheat, rice, vineyards, cotton, potatoes, vegetables and orchard trees. Most of the change was made possible by the widespread use of river and underground water.
The mayor of the Carrathool Shire Council is yet to be determined following the 2012 local government election.
Current composition and election method
Carrathool Shire Council is composed of ten councillors elected proportionally as two separate wards, each electing five councillors. All councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The mayor is elected by the councillors at the first meeting of the Council. The most recent election was held on 10 September 2016. However, in both wards there was an equal number of candidates, being those below, that nominated for election. There being no additional candidates, the election for both wards was uncontested. The makeup of the Council is as follows:
|Independents and Unaligned||10|
The current Council, elected in 2016, in order of election by ward, is:
|A Ward||David Fensom||Independent|
|Darryl Jardine||Independent||Deputy Mayor|
|B Ward||Mick Armstrong||Unaligned|
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2014–15". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Carrathool Regional Profile". Riverina Regional Development Board. Archived from the original on 20 July 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- "Carrathool Shire Council". New South Wales Division of Local Government. Archived from the original on 29 July 2008. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- "Profile of the electoral division of Farrer (NSW)". Australian Electoral Commission. 25 February 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Carrathool Shire Council - A Ward". Local Government Elections 2016. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 14 September 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "Carrathool Shire Council - B Ward". Local Government Elections 2016. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 14 September 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
|This Riverina geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|