Carreras Domingo Pavarotti in Concert
|Carreras Domingo Pavarotti in Concert|
(Left to right) Domingo, Carreras, Mehta, and Pavarotti
|Live album by The Three Tenors|
|Recorded||July 7, 1990,
|Genre||Opera, operatic pop|
|Label||Decca / London|
|The Three Tenors chronology|
Carreras Domingo Pavarotti in Concert (re-released as The Three Tenors in Concert) is a live album by José Carreras, Plácido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti with conductor Zubin Mehta. The album was recorded on July 7, 1990 in Rome as the first Three Tenors concert with the orchestra of the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino and the orchestra of Teatro dell'Opera di Roma on the evening before the 1990 FIFA World Cup Final. The recording, released on the Decca Classics label, won the Grammy Award for Best Classical Vocal Performance in 1991 at the 33rd Grammy Awards. It is the best-selling classical album of all time and led to a shift in the way the music industry marketed classical recordings.
This first Three Tenors performance and recording led to thirty-three additional concerts with Carreras, Domingo, and Pavarotti, as well as three more live audio and video albums. All were best-sellers.
The unexpected success of the album among general audiences led to a restructuring of the classical music industry into separate "core classical" and "strategic classical" areas. With the latter category, the industry now geared its focus toward reaching new audiences via intense performer-centric marketing strategies.
|1.||"È la solita storia (Lamento Di Federico)" (sung by José Carreras)||Act II of L'arlesiana by Francesco Cilea||4:21|
|2.||"O paradis" (sung by Plácido Domingo)||Act IV of L'Africaine by Giacomo Meyerbeer||3:12|
|3.||"Recondita armonia" (sung by Luciano Pavarotti)||Act I of Tosca by Giacomo Puccini||2:37|
|4.||"Dein ist mein ganzes Herz" (sung by Plácido Domingo)||from Das Land des Lächelns by Franz Lehár||3:36|
|5.||"Rondine al nido" (sung by Luciano Pavarotti)||written by Vincenzo De Crescenzo||3:35|
|6.||"Core 'ngrato (Catari)" (sung by José Carreras)||written by Salvatore Cardillo||3:28|
|7.||"Torna a Surriento" (sung by Luciano Pavarotti)||written by Ernesto de Curtis||2:52|
|8.||"Granada" (sung by José Carreras)||written by Agustín Lara||3:41|
|9.||"No puede ser" (sung by Plácido Domingo)||from La tabernera del puerto by Pablo Sorozábal||2:43|
|10.||"Improvviso" (sung by José Carreras)||Act I of Andrea Chénier by Umberto Giordano||5:11|
|11.||"E lucevan le stelle" (sung by Plácido Domingo)||Act III of Tosca by Giacomo Puccini||2:40|
|12.||"Nessun dorma" (sung by Luciano Pavarotti)||Act III of Turandot by Giacomo Puccini||3:05|
|13.||"Maria / Tonight / 'O Paese d' 'o sole / Cielito lindo" (sung by The Three Tenors)||arranged by Lalo Schifrin||5:31|
|14.||"Memory / Ochi tchorniye / Caminito / La Vie en rose" (sung by The Three Tenors)||arranged by Lalo Schifrin||6:54|
|15.||"Mattinata / Wien, Wien, nur du allein / Amapola / 'O sole mio" (sung by The Three Tenors)||arranged by Lalo Schifrin||8:06|
|16.||"'O sole mio" (sung by The Three Tenors)||written by Eduardo di Capua||2:53|
|17.||"Nessun dorma" (sung by The Three Tenors)||Act III of Turandot by Giacomo Puccini||3:30|
- Tracks 13–15 are part of a song medley. Tracks 16 and 17 are encores.
- José Carreras – vocals
- Plácido Domingo – vocals
- Luciano Pavarotti – vocals
- Zubin Mehta – conductor
- Maggio Musicale Fiorentino – orchestra
- Teatro dell'Opera di Roma – orchestra
- Lalo Schifrin – arranger
|US Classical Albums||3|
Sales and certifications
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||2× Platinum||100,000*|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||50,000^|
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||Platinum||50,000*|
|Poland (ZPAV)||2× Platinum||200,000*|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Gold||25,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||5× Platinum||1,500,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||3,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Associated Press. "A List of the Honored". New York Times. February 21, 1991
- Classical music magazine – Volume 17 – Page 39 1994 "And then there's the three tenors phenomenon: The London recording from the 1990 concert became the biggest-selling classical album of all time, having now topped 10-million units throughout the world, and the new Teldec release of last "
- Rutter, Paul (2011). The Music Industry Handbook. Routledge. p. 201. ISBN 9780203816851.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Listas Afyve 1990 Albumes".
- UK Album Chart: In Concert
- "CARRERAS / DOMINGO / PAVAROTTI / MEHTA – IN CONCERT (ALBUM)". Swedishcharts.com (with additional world wide chart information).
- "CARRERAS / DOMINGO / PAVAROTTI / MEHTA – IN CONCERT (ALBUM)". Norwegiancharts.com (with additional world wide chart information). Archived from the original on 2016-04-03.
- Billboard Album Chart 1990
- "CARRERAS / DOMINGO / PAVAROTTI / MEHTA – IN CONCERT (ALBUM)". Italiancharts.com (with additional world wide chart information). Archived from the original on 2015-03-24.
- "CARRERAS / DOMINGO / PAVAROTTI / MEHTA – IN CONCERT (ALBUM)". Spanishcharts.com (with additional world wide chart information). Archived from the original on 2015-10-10.
- "Billboard's year-end ranking of the top jazz and classical albums, based on a survey of retail sales and broadcast play from Dec. 4, 1993 through Nov. 26, 1994". UPI. December 16, 1994. Retrieved September 30, 2015.
- "Austrian album certifications – Carreras/Domingo/Pavarotti – Three Tenors Concert" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Carreras/Domingo/Pavarotti in the field Interpret. Enter Three Tenors Concert in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Canadian album certifications – Carreras, Domingo, Pavarotti – In Concert". Music Canada.
- "Norwegian album certifications – Carreras, Domingo, Pavarotti – Tre-Tenorkonsert" (in Norwegian). IFPI Norway.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Carreras, Domingo, Pavarotti; 'In Concert')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Certificaciones 1999". AMPROFON (in Spanish). Facebook. 1999. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Polish album certifications – Carreras, Domingo, Pavarotti – The Three Tenors In Concert" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 1987−1998" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (José Carreras, Plácido Domingo & Luciano Pavarotti; 'Three Tenors In Concert')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Carreras, Domingo & Pavarotti – The Three Tenors – In Concert". British Phonographic Industry. Enter The Three Tenors – In Concert in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Three Tenors, The – In Concert". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Graffiti Bridge by Prince
Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 by George Michael
|UK Albums Chart number-one album
2 September 1990 – 8 September 1990
16 September 1990 – 13 October 1990
Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 by George Michael
Some Friendly by The Charlatans