|Platform(s)||Amiga, Atari ST, MS-DOS, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Macintosh|
Carrier Command is a 1988 video game published by Rainbird for the Amiga, Atari ST, IBM PC compatibles, ZX Spectrum, Macintosh, Commodore 64, and Amstrad CPC. Carrier Command is a cross between a vehicle simulation game and a real-time strategy game where players control a robotic aircraft carrier.
The game is set in the near future, where a team of scientists have developed two robotic aircraft carriers to colonise an archipelago of sixty four islands. Unfortunately, the more advanced carrier falls into the hands of a terrorist organization, and they plan to conquer the archipelago for their own evil ends. It is the player's job to use the less advanced carrier to colonise the islands and destroy the enemy carrier.
|Your Sinclair||ZX: 94%|
|ACE||PC: 965/1000 |
|Amiga Power||Amiga: 78%|
|Computer Gaming World||PC/Mac: |
|Happy Computer||Atari ST: 78%|
|The Games Machine||Atari ST: 98% |
|Zzap!64||Amiga: 92% |
The Games Machine awarded the Atari ST and Amiga versions 98% and 97% respectively and ranked Carrier Command the #1 game of 1988. ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment) scored the PC version 965/1000, while Zzap!64 magazine awarded the Amiga release 92%. The game was ranked the 15th best game of all time by Amiga Power.
Computer Gaming World in 1988 praised the game's blend of strategic and tactical play, recommending it as an improvement over Starglider. A 1992 survey in the magazine of wargames with modern settings gave the game two and a half stars out of five, describing it as a "futuristic arcade game", and two 1994 surveys gave it two stars. The ZX Spectrum version was awarded a "Crash Smash" with 97%, and was awarded 94% by Your Sinclair, and was placed at number 12 in the Your Sinclair official top 100.
In 1991, PC Format named Carrier Command one of the 50 best computer games ever. The editors called it "a splendid mixture of strategic planning and arcade action". Carrier Command was named the 56th best computer game ever by PC Gamer UK in 1997. The editors wrote that it "packs more flight-sim, sea-sim and tank-sim action and strategy than a dozen of your so-called CD-ROM games could manage in a million or more megabytes."
Carrier Command: Gaea Mission (2012) is a modern remake by Bohemia Interactive's Prague studio. It's a real-time action/strategy game, where the overarching objective is to conquer and control islands. It features a vast 33-island archipelago on the planet-moon Taurus.
- "Carrier Command". Archived from the original on 2007-03-12. Retrieved 2007-01-06.
- Advanced Computer Entertainment, issue 27, Dec 1989
- Brooks, M. Evan (June 1992). "The Modern Games: 1950 - 2000". Computer Gaming World. p. 120. Retrieved 24 November 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The Games Machine, July 1988, page 40
- Zzap! October 1988, p88-89 Archived December 14, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- The Games Machine, July 1988, page 39
- The Games Machine, July 1988, page 41
- Amiga Power magazine issue 0, Future Publishing, May 1991
- Battles, Hosea (October 1988). "Terrorism in the 22nd Century". Computer Gaming World. pp. 22–23.
- Brooks, M. Evan (January 1994). "War In Our Time / A Survey Of Wargames From 1950-2000". Computer Gaming World. pp. 194–212.
- Brooks, M. Evan (May 1994). "Never Trust A Gazfluvian Flingschnogger!". Computer Gaming World. pp. 42–58.
- Staff (October 1991). "The 50 best games EVER!". PC Format (1): 109–111.
- Flynn, James; Owen, Steve; Pierce, Matthew; Davis, Jonathan; Longhurst, Richard (July 1997). "The PC Gamer Top 100". PC Gamer UK (45): 51–83.
- Carrier Command 2 announcement by Microprose