Carrington Training Centre
|Location||Carrington Moss, Carrington,
|Owner||Manchester City F.C.|
|Manchester City (2001–2014)
Carrington Training Centre, sometimes referred to as Carrington, is the training ground of the Football League One club Bury, leased from Manchester City. The League One club moved into this complex in early 2015 when previous holders, Manchester City moved into a new £50m training facility close to its Sportcity home in east Manchester.
Location and facilities
The training ground is situated away from the City of Manchester in Trafford, like that of Manchester United who also have a training ground nearby (Trafford Training Centre). The training ground is adjacent to a public footpath, allowing members of the public and photographers to watch training sessions freely in the past. In recent years, a six-foot tarpaulin curtain surrounds the training ground, with photographers and members of the public resorting to step ladders and perching themselves on trees to watch training sessions. City have attempted to seek planning permission from Trafford Metropolitan Borough Council to increase the height of the barrier from six feet, the maximum height permitted without planning permission.
New training complex
Manchester City vacated Carrington to move to Sportcity near the Etihad Stadium. This move was completed in 2014 after planning permission was granted in March 2010, Manchester City and Manchester City Council agreed to redevelop land around Sportcity and the club bought 59 acres (240,000 m2) of land nearby in Openshaw West. The new training ground will cost about £50m and is part of a £1 billion redevelopment around Eastlands that will be led by architect Rafael Vinoly.
- "Man City confirms training ground move and stadium extension plans". Crains Manchester Business. 12 March 2010. Archived from the original on 14 March 2010. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- Wheeler, Chris (16 December 2011). "In the Blue corner... Mauler Mario in fourth bust-up as Italian takes on Richards". Daily Mail. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Barenbrug's Bar 7 Shoots & Scores at Man City FC's Training Ground". pitchcare.com. 7 January 2010. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "Pathfinder group's Carrington day out". mcfc.co.uk. 29 October 2009. Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- "City & Council sign east Manchester agreement". mcfc.co.uk. 12 March 2010. Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- Mullock, Simon (6 March 2010). "Manchester City planning new £50million training HQ". mirrorfootball.co.uk. Archived from the original on 12 October 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- Hopkirk, Elizabeth (25 June 2010). "Rafael Viñoly: Manchester City’s hot new signing". bdonline.co.uk. Retrieved 7 September 2015.