|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Location||Westminster, Maryland, United States|
|Lists||Hospitals in Maryland|
Carroll Hospital is a nonprofit hospital located in Westminster, Maryland, United States.
On October 1, 1961, Carroll County General Hospital opened its doors. Originally planned by local citizens in 1957, the hospital had only 50 beds with 125 employees. By the late 1960s, medical needs had increased in the community and the hospital added a North wing and a West wing. The total number of beds increased to 120.
Before 1980, another expansion added three more floors to both wings. The 159-bed facility also housed services such as Physical Therapy. The Emergency Department, X-ray Department, and Laboratory were expanded as well. Carroll County General Hospital was awarded its first two-year accreditation by JCAHO in 1981. Throughout the decade, the hospital upgraded many services. CT scans, pediatrics, and minimally invasive surgical techniques (arthroscopy, laparoscopy) were introduced to the facility
In 1995, amidst a very large population growth in Carroll County, the hospital added a Psychiatric unit, Angiography Lab, larger Emergency Department, Sleep Lab, and Oncology. The Family Birthplace opened in 1996 and hosted 20 private suites. It provided patients with labor and delivery services, as well as recovery and post-partum services. The Richard N. Dixon Surgery Center opened in 1997 providing the community with outpatient surgeries—the first facility of its kind in the county. The Women's Place opened in 1999 with a focus on the wellness of women.
The largest expansions occurred during the 2000 millennium. Carroll County General Hospital changed its name to Carroll Hospital in 2003, and, in December of that year, Carroll Hospital Center opened a brand new 30,000 sq ft (2,800 m2). new state-of-the-art Emergency Department. By 2004, a South tower was opened, this one was 5 stories tall with 24 privatized rooms for patients on each floor. The original Emergency Department was then renovated for Outpatient Services and opened in 2005 for diabetes, hyperbaric sessions, and wound care treatments. Cardiac Rehab was also moved to Outpatient Services. A renovated Operating Room opened in 2007, along with an inpatient hospice facility named Dove House which houses the Carroll Homecare and Carroll Hospice departments.
During the summer of 2011, Carroll Hospital acquired the Carroll Regional Cancer Center which had previously been owned by U.S. Oncology. In February 2013, construction began on a brand new, state-of-the-art wellness center. Upon completion in 2014, The William E. Kahlert Regional Cancer Center and Tevis Center for Wellness will be the new home for the Carroll Regional Cancer Center.
Carroll Hospital announced, on November 6, 2014, that it intended to partner with LifeBridge Health of Baltimore, Maryland. On April 1, 2015 Carroll Hospital officially became a subsidiary of the LifeBridge Health organization, making it the third hospital in the healthcare system.
- Private, nonprofit 193-bed hospital; mostly private patient rooms
- Governed by a community board of directors
- More than 400 physicians representing over 38 medical specialties
- 2nd largest employer in Carroll County, employs over 1750 individuals
- Annual budget >$282,000,000
- Annually experiences more than 432,000 patient encounters for inpatient and outpatient medical care and community programs
- Cancer Care: The Carroll Regional Cancer Center offering treatment and care across all types and stages of cancer
- Carroll Health Group: An affiliated multi-practice group of physicians located throughout Carroll County
- Center for Breast Health: Specialists and services for breast care, including reconstruction and treatment
- Medical and Surgical Units: Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Critical Care, Intermediate Care, and Progressive Care
- Emergency Department: 30,000 sq ft (2,800 m2). facility with over 40 private rooms for treatment of minor and critical injuries
- Oncology: cancer care program, providing inpatient and outpatient oncology care with an oncology health care team.
- The Family Birthplace: 20-bed maternity unit featuring all private Labor-Delivery-Recovery-Postpartum (LDRP) suites and a Level II Special Care Nursery
- Comprehensive Behavioral Health Services: Inpatient, outpatient and partial hospitalization
- 24-hour, in-house physician coverage: In obstetrics, pediatrics, medicine, and critical care
- Computerized patient charting system: Including a picture archiving and communication system (PACS)
- Computerized system for safe medication delivery
- Philips 64-channel CT scanners: The most advanced CT technology available. It produces detailed pictures of any organ and blood vessels in seconds providing sharp, clear, 3-D images used to conduct coronary CT angiography and calcium scoring
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Positron Emission Technology (PET), and Computerized Tomography (CT): Imaging test providing complete information on cancer location and metabolism
- Stereotactic and mammotome technology for minimally invasive breast biopsy
- Capsule endoscopy: Allows the visualization of unreachable sections of the bowel through advanced camera technology
- Cardiovasular Lab: Providing cardiac catherization and angiography
- Emergency Angioplasty: Offered in partnership with University of Maryland Medical Center#University of Maryland Heart Center
- Monitored Units: Critical, Intermediate, and Progressive Care Units for patients who require cardiac monitoring
- Cardiac Rehabilitation certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) for the highest standards of care
Advanced surgical services
Operating rooms and staff certified to use a daVinci robotic surgery system. Other services include Anesthesiology, Pain Management, Minimally Invasive Procedures, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Gynecology, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Otolaryngology, Plastic/Cosmetic Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Urology, and Vascular Surgery.
Onsite Outpatient Center provides the community with an Anticoagulation Clinic, Cardiac Rehabilitation, Diabetes Center, Hyperbaric Treatment, Nutrition Counseling Services, Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Sleep Disorders, and Wound Care.
Satellite programs and services
Carroll Hospital operates five Med Labs around Carroll County in Eldersburg, Hampstead, Manchester, Taneytown, and Westminster. The Med Labs offer small laboratory services such as blood draw stations and urine collections. Two urgent care centers are operated in Eldersburg, Md. and Reisterstown, Md.
- "History - Carroll Hospital". http://www.carrollhospitalcenter.org/. Retrieved 5 September 2014. External link in
- "Hospital cancer, wellness center to break ground today - Local". Carroll County Times. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Dance, Scott. "LifeBridge Health exploring partnership with Carroll Hospital Center". Baltimore Sun.
- Kelvey, Jon. "Hospital finalizes merger with LifeBridge". Carroll County Times.