A carrozza, also referred to as mozzarella in carrozza (Italian: mozzarella in carrozza, English: "mozzarella in a carriage"), is a type of fried cheese sandwich in Italian cuisine and Southern Italian cuisine. It is prepared by coating a mozzarella cheese sandwich in egg and flour, and frying it. It is a popular dish in the Campania region of Southern Italy and in areas of New York City. Mozzarella fritta is a variation of the dish that consists of battered cheese, without any bread.
The carrozza is prepared with mozzarella cheese, an egg wash and bread slices. It can be prepared with various breads, such as Italian bread and sandwich loaf, among others. The bread crust is sometimes removed before it is fried, and the bread can be slightly toasted before the sandwich is fried. Preparation involves assembling the sandwich, dredging it in egg wash, dipping it in flour, then pan or deep frying it. Bread crumbs are sometimes used to coat the sandwich. Olive oil is typically used for frying the carrozza. Additional ingredients are sometimes used, such as ham, anchovies, eggplant, green tomatoes and basil. After being cooked, it has a crisp or crunchy texture. It can be served as an antipasti dish.
The carrozza is a street food and popular dish in Campania, a region in southern Italy. Buffalo mozzarella, which is prepared using the milk from the Italian Mediterranean buffalo, is typically used in Campania to prepare the sandwich.
- White, M.; Friedman, A.; Keller, T. (2013). Classico e Moderno: Essential Italian Cooking (in Italian). Random House Publishing Group. p. 109. ISBN 978-0-345-54553-4. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Saveur Cooks Authentic Italian. Chronicle Books. 2008. p. 162. ISBN 978-0-8118-6574-6. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Sheraton, M.; Alexander, K. (2015). 1,000 Foods to Eat Before You Die: A Food Lover's Life List. Workman Publishing. p. 209. ISBN 978-0-7611-4168-6. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Chiarello, M.; Fletcher, J. (2002). Michael Chiarello's Casual Cooking: Wine Country Recipes for Family and Friends. Chronicle Books. p. 86. ISBN 978-0-8118-3383-7. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- "Mozzarella en Carrozza (Fried Mozzarella Sandwiches) Recipe by Mario Batali - The Chew". ABC. Archived from the original on June 4, 2016. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Rolnick, G.; Peterson, C. (2014). Carmine's Celebrates: Classic Italian Recipes for Everyday Feasts. St. Martin's Press. p. 62. ISBN 978-1-4668-3723-2. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- "Mozzarrella en carrozza is better than fried sticks of cheese". miamiherald. July 7, 2015. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Sietsema, Robert (October 9, 2012). "Mozzarella in Carrozza, Italian or Italian-American?". Village Voice. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Ray, R. (2015). Everyone Is Italian on Sunday. Atria non fiction original trade. Atria Books. p. 61. ISBN 978-1-4767-6607-2. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Hirsheimer, C.; Hamilton, M. (2011). Buon Appetito: A Taste of Italy. Canal House Cooking. Canal House. p. 10. ISBN 978-1-4804-1956-8. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Facaros, D.; Pauls, M. (2004). Italy. Cadogan Guides Italy. Cadogan Guides. p. 61. ISBN 978-1-86011-113-6. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Conte, A.D. (2013). Gastronomy of Italy: Revised Edition. Pavilion Books. p. 525. ISBN 978-1-909815-19-3. Retrieved May 27, 2016.