|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Also known as||Cars Toon
Mater's Tall Tales
Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales
Cars Toon: Mater's Tall Tales
|Created by||John Lasseter|
|Directed by||John Lasseter
|Starring||Larry the Cable Guy
|Theme music composer||Mark Mothersbaugh|
|Opening theme||Cars Toons Theme Song|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||Mater's Tall Tales: 11
Tales from Radiator Springs: 4
Total : 15
|Executive producer(s)||John Lasseter
|Running time||2-7 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original network||Disney Channel|
|First shown in||United States|
|Original release||October 27, 2008– present|
Cars Toons is an American series of computer animated short films by Pixar. It features Lightning McQueen and Mater from Cars. Larry the Cable Guy reprises his role as Mater while Keith Ferguson replaces Owen Wilson as Lightning McQueen (until The Radiator Springs 500 ½ when Wilson reprises his role).
The series' first broadcast was on October 27, 2008 on Toon Disney, Disney Channel, and ABC Family. Not exclusive to television, some of those episodes have also premiered on DVDs / Blu-rays or as a theatrical short.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Cast
- 3 Guest stars
- 4 Production
- 5 Release
- 6 Future
- 7 Episodes
- 8 Cast and characters
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Mater's Tall Tales
All Cars Toons in Mater's Tall Tales follow the same tall tale formula: the episode opens with Mater popping out of his garage and declaring, "If I'm lying, I'm crying!" (or a variation thereof). Mater proceeds to tell a far-fetched story of his past to Lightning McQueen, the action shifting to Mater's story. At a midway point, the action briefly shifts back to Mater and McQueen in which Mater proclaims that McQueen was also involved, often telling him "You was there, too!" (or some other variation). The flashback resumes with McQueen's sudden (and usually unwilling) participation. Once Mater finishes his tall tale, one or more characters or elements involved in the story appear, paradoxically suggesting the story might have been authentic. The episode ends with Mater and McQueen posing in their corresponding story's costumes (excluding Tokyo Mater). All episodes feature Mia and Tia and various pit crew forklifts in support roles.
- Larry the Cable Guy as Mater
- Keith Ferguson (2008–2013) / Owen Wilson (2014-present) as Lightning McQueen
- George Carlin (archive footage) (2008-2011) / Lloyd Sherr (2011) as Fillmore
- Tony Shalhoub as Luigi
- Guido Quaroni as Guido
- Michael Wallis as Sheriff
- Katherine Helmond as Lizzie
- Lindsey Collins as Mia
- Elissa Knight as Tia
- Jerome Ranft as Red (only in Tales from Radiator Springs)
- Robert Ito as Ito-San
- Mach Tony Kobayashi as Kabuto
- Stacy Keach as Skipper
- Jonathan Adams as Judge Davis
- John Michael Higgins as Stanley
- Steve Purcell as Sandy Dunes
- John Cygan as Idle Threat
- Jess Harnell as Blue Grit
- Danny Mann as Sparky / Shifty Sidewinder
After the success of Cars, production of Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales began in 2006. The first nine shorts were produced by Pixar, while all the following shorts were produced by its subsidiary, Pixar Canada.
"Tokyo Mater" premiered in theaters in the US with Bolt on December 12, 2008. The short is the first Disney·Pixar production presented in Disney Digital 3-D. Sulley and Mike from Monsters, Inc. made cameo appearances in "Tokyo Mater" as their car forms from the ending of the first film.
It was announced that Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales was to be released as part of the Disney·Pixar Cars Die-Cast Line in mid-2009. In October 2009, they released several diecasts. They released all of the "Rescue Squad Mater" and "Mater the Greater" diecasts, and they are working on "El Materdor" diecasts and reverse.
A DVD and Blu-ray compilation of the first nine shorts, titled Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales, was released on November 2, 2010. The compilation includes "Mater the Greater", "Rescue Squad Mater", "Monster Truck Mater", "Unidentified Flying Mater", "El Materdor", "Moon Mater", "Heavy Metal Mater", "Mater Private Eye" and "Tokyo Mater", with Moon Mater and Mater Private Eye created exclusively for this set. Choosing the "Play All" option from the menu gives each short (except for Mater the Greater which plays first) unique intros.
The remaining two episodes of Mater's Tall Tales "Air Mater" and "Time Travel Mater" were released on the Pixar Short Films Collection, Volume 2. Air Mater is also a bonus feature on the Cars 2 DVD and Blu-ray.
In addition to "The Radiator Springs 500 1/2," which was released in 2014, director Rob Gibbs revealed at the 2013 Disney D23 Expo another Cars Toons titled "To Protect and Serve." The short was also expected to debut in 2014 on Disney Channel, but it was postponed indefinitely.
Mater's Tall Tales
1. Runway Mater 2. Stunt Mater 3. Import Mater 4. Mater Goes to the Car-nival 5. Backwards to the Forwards
|#||Title||Director||Original premiere date||Original release|
|1||"Rescue Squad Mater"||John Lasseter||October 27, 2008||Toon Disney|
Mater is working as a fire truck and has to rescue Lightning McQueen from a burning building. After he saves McQueen, he rushes the racecar to the hospital where the tow truck reveals that he is also a doctor (with an MD, PhD, STP and GTO).Role: Firetruck (and Doctor, briefly)
|2||"Mater the Greater"||John Lasseter||October 28, 2008||Toon Disney|
Mater is a daredevil and dresses in a style resembling that of Evel Knievel. In a stadium, Mater attempts to jump a long line of cars, but instead merely tiptoes over them. He performs other stunts, and later claims Lightning McQueen failed to jump over Carburetor Canyon while strapped to a rocket.Role: Daredevil
|3||"El Materdor"||John Lasseter||October 29, 2008||Toon Disney|
|4||"Tokyo Mater"||John Lasseter||December 12, 2008||Theatrically with Bolt|
Mater offers to tow home a stranded Japanese car inspired by the Toyota Century, (named Ito-San), but ends up in Tokyo, Japan after hauling him all the way across the Pacific Ocean. He is subsequently challenged to a race by the Drift King Kabuto (a car resembling Boost, the leader of The Delinquent Road Hazards) with the winner being crowned "King of All Drifters" and the loser being stripped of all custom modifications to become a "stock" car. "Lightning Dragon McQueen" shows up to help Mater fend off an attack by Kabuto's ninjas and then helps Mater catch up with Kabuto. Kabuto makes a cameo appearance in Cars 2, just before McMissle shows up at the party.Role: Drift King
Guest stars: Robert Ito as Ito San, Mach Tony Kobayashi as Kabuto
|5||"(U.F.M.) Unidentified Flying Mater"||John Lasseter||November 20, 2009||Disney Channel|
Mater finds a small UFO called Mator and they have a night out. Later, when Mator is captured by the military forces, Mater sneaks up and saves him with the help of Lightning McQueen and the UFO's mother.Role: UFO/(Unidentified Flying Object)
|6||"Monster Truck Mater"||John Lasseter||July 30, 2010||Disney Channel|
Mater is a professional (Monster Truck) Wrestler who works his way up the ranks from amateur to World Champion Monster Truck Wrestler, wrestling all kinds of characters along the way. These trucks include the I-Screamer, Captain Collision, The Rasta Carian, Dr. Feel Bad, and Paddy O'Concrete. When faced with his biggest opponent yet -the Monster of Dr. Frankenwagon-, Mater tags in his "tag team partner," Frightening McMean (Lightning McQueen).Role: Monster Truck Wrestler
|7||"Heavy Metal Mater"||John Lasseter||October 8, 2010||Disney Channel|
Mater is a rock star in a heavy metal band. He starts out in a garage band called "Mater & The Gas Caps" and rises to the top with his hit song, "Dad Gum" (which bears a heavy-metal style by accident when the drummer goes crazy trying to kill a fly on the drum while recording an album), a song based on the line Mater is famous for. Lightning McQueen joins him on stage in the middle of a huge concert and they rock into history.Role: Heavy Metal Rock Star
|8||"Moon Mater"||Rob Gibbs||November 2, 2010||Mater's Tall Tales DVD/Blu-ray|
Mater is the first Tow Truck on the moon. His mission: Rescue the Impala XIII by giving him a tow and bringing him back to Earth. Lightning McQueen joins Mater and they are met with a hero's welcome.Role: Astronaut
|9||"Mater Private Eye"||Rob Gibbs||November 2, 2010||Mater's Tall Tales DVD/Blu-ray|
Mater is a private investigator working on a case of counterfeit tires when Tia rolls back into his life. She hires Mater to find her sister, Mia, who's been car-napped. Mater searches for clues and closes in on a major crime scene. Lieutenant Lightning McQueen arrives just in time to help bring the criminals to justice.Role: Private Investigator
|10||"Air Mater"||Rob Gibbs||November 1, 2011||Cars 2 DVD/Blu-ray|
A tow service leads Mater to Propwash Junction, a town of planes. Amazed by all these flying machines, Mater gets interested in learning how to fly when he sees Skipper's Flight School, which has a sign that says they could teach anyone. After learning how to fly, he learns himself to fly backwards and amazes a group of stunt planes known as the Falcon Hawks. Since one of them has sprained their wing during practice for a stunt show, they ask Mater to take place of the injured plane. He accepts and becomes the stunt planes' new member. Lightning McQueen, also a stunt plane, helps Mater at one point when he is in trouble. In the end, Mater wonders to himself that "They oughta make a whole movie about planes!", an idea that Skipper's assistant, Sparky, thinks is a good idea.
Role: Stunt AirplaneGuest stars: Stacy Keach as Skipper, Danny Mann as Sparky, Jonathan Adams as Judge Davis
|11||"Time Travel Mater"||Rob Gibbs||June 5, 2012||Disney Channel|
Accidentally gaining the ability to travel in time, Mater travels back to 1909 in the middle of a desert, where he meets Stanley, the founder of Radiator Springs, who works as a travelling radiator caps salesman. With the realization, that if Stanley goes away there would be no Radiator Springs, Mater brings McQueen from the future, and Stanley sells him a radiator cap. Mater then suggests Stanley to settle there and build a town where he could serve broken cars, and Stanley accepts. Jumping a few years forward, Stanley shows Mater and McQueen the expanding town, when Mater takes a note of a broken Model T, which turns out to be Lizzie. Lizzie's seemingly falling in love with McQueen makes Mater panic again about Radiator Springs' future, but it turns out that Lizzie had her eye on Stanley. Introduced to each other by McQueen, he and Mater make another time jump, where they attend the Stanley and Lizzie's wedding, before returning to the present. There, Lizzie thanks McQueen for introducing her and Stanley.
Role: Time TravelerGuest star: John Michael Higgins as Stanley
Tales from Radiator Springs
|#||Title||Director||Original premiere date||Original release|
|1||"Hiccups"||Jeremy Lasky||March 22, 2013||Disney Channel|
|Lightning gets hiccups from drinking his breakfast of champions: oil. Many of the Radiator Springs residents give him advice on how to cure the "annoyingness", but none of the ideas work—until Sally kisses him on the cheek... and his hiccups disappear.|
|2||"Bugged"||Jeremy Lasky||March 22, 2013||Disney Channel|
Red's peaceful morning routine is interrupted by a pesky visitor.Note: It is the only episode that doesn't feature Lightning and Mater.
|3||"Spinning"||Jeremy Lasky||March 22, 2013||Disney Channel|
|Guido discovers he has a hidden talent as a street corner sign spinner.|
|4||"The Radiator Springs 500 ½"||Rob Gibbs and Scott Morse||May 20, 2014
(August 1, 2014)
|Disney Movies Anywhere
Radiator Springs celebrates a Founders Day honoring the late Stanley when a gang of Baja racers descend on the town and challenge Lightning McQueen to a race.Guest stars: John Cygan as Idle Threat, Jess Harnell as Blue Grit, Danny Mann as Shifty Sidewinder, and Steve Purcell as Sandy Dunes.
Cast and characters
Mater's Tall Tales
- 1. Mater The Greater
- 2. Rescue Squad Mater
- 3. Monster Truck Mater
- 4. Unidentified Flying Mater
- 5. El Materdor
- 6. Moon Mater
- 7. Heavy Metal Mater
- 8. Mater Private-Eye
- 9. Tokyo Mater
- 10. Air Mater [see Cars 2]
- 11. Time Travel Mater
|Characters||Rescue Squad Mater||Mater The Greater||El Materdor||Unidentified Flying Mater||Tokyo Mater||Monster Truck Mater||Heavy Metal Mater||Moon Mater||Mater Private Eye||Air Mater||Time Travel Mater|
|Mater||Larry the Cable Guy|
|Lightning McQueen||Keith Ferguson|
|Luigi||Silent Cameo||Tony Shalhoub||Silent Cameo||Silent Cameo||Silent Cameo|
|Guido||Silent Cameo||Guido Quaroni||Guido Quaroni||Silent Cameo|
|Ramone||Silent Cameo||Silent Cameo||Silent Cameo||Silent Cameo|
|Flo||Silent Cameo||Silent Cameo||Silent Cameo|
|Sarge||Silent Cameo||Silent Cameo|
|Fillmore||Silent Cameo||George Carlin
|Stanley||John Michael Higgins|
|Mia||Lindsey Collins||Silent Cameo||Lindsey Collins||Silent Cameo||Lindsey Collins|
|Tia||Elissa Knight||Silent Cameo||Elissa Knight|
Tales from Radiator Springs
|Character||Hiccups||Bugged||Spinning||The Radiator Springs 500 ½|
|Mater||Larry the Cable Guy||Silent Cameo||Larry the Cable Guy|
|Lightning McQueen||Keith Ferguson||Keith Ferguson||Owen Wilson|
|Sally||Bonnie Hunt||Bonnie Hunt|
|Luigi||Tony Shalhoub||Tony Shalhoub|
|Guido||Guido Quaroni||Guido Quaroni|
|Flo||Jenifer Lewis||Jenifer Lewis|
|Sarge||Paul Dooley||Paul Dooley|
|Fillmore||Lloyd Sherr||Lloyd Sherr|
|Sheriff||Michael Wallis||Michael Wallis|
|Red||Jerome Ranft||Silent Cameo|
- Note: A grey cell indicates the character was not in the episode.
- "All Films". Pixar Canada. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Disney-Pixar to Premiere Its First Disney Digital 3-D(TM) Short Film Oscar(R)-Winner John Lasseter Directs Animated Short Based on "Cars" Character" (Press release). Pixar. 2008-12-09. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
- "Cars Toon: Mater's Tall Tales". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
- "Cars Toon: Mater's Tall Tales". IGN. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
- "Cars Toon : Mater's Tall Tales (Game, PC)". Flipkart.com. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Cars Toon: Mater's Tall Tales Blu-ray". Pixar Talk. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Bastoli, Mike (August 13, 2010). "Report: Cars Toons BD/DVD on Nov. 2; no 'Nemo' Blu-ray (2 UPDATES)". Big Screen Animation. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Bryko (August 11, 2013). "D23 Expo Round-Up: 'Toy Story of Terror', New Cars Toons on the Way". Upcoming Pixar. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- Labrecque, Jeff (March 13, 2014). "Lightning McQueen revs his engine off-road in Pixar's new Radiator Springs short -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- Zahed, Ramin (September 26, 2008). "Mater Stars in Own Mini-Show on Disney". Animation Magazine. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Lesnick, Silas (December 9, 2008). "Exclusive: First Look at Pixar's Tokyo Mater!". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Sciretta, Peter (November 23, 2009). "New Pixar Cars Short: Unidentified Flying Mater". /Film. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Sciretta, Peter (July 14, 2010). "New Pixar Cars Toon "Monster Truck Mater" Premieres July 30th". /Film. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Gallagher, Brian (October 6, 2010). "Cars Toons Short Heavy Metal Mater Debuts on the Disney Channel". MovieWeb.com. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Interview: Pixar's Rob Gibbs talks about Cars 2 Air Mater short". Live For Films. November 14, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- Weiner, David (August 17, 2011). "ET Exclusive: 'Air Mater' Takes Flight". ET Online. Retrieved October 29, 2011.
- Desowitz, Bill (November 4, 2011). "Pixar Canada Launches with Air Mater". Animation World Network. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Mater's Tall Tales : Time Travel Mater". Zap2It. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- "'Time Travel Mater' to Air on Disney Channel This Week Ahead of Disneyland 'Premiere'". Stitch Kingdom. June 6, 2012. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Rizvi, Samad (March 22, 2013). "Three 'Cars' Shorty Shorts Debut Tonight On Disney Channel". The Pixar Times. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- McDaniel, Matt (May 19, 2014). "Disney/Pixar's 'Cars' Roar Back in a New Short". Yahoo!. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Get Your Motor Running: A New Pixar Cars Toon Is Coming to Disney Channel". Disney Insider. August 1, 2014. Retrieved August 1, 2014.