Cars on the Road
|Cars on the Road|
|Developed by||Steve Purcell|
|Theme music composer||Bobby Podesta|
|Opening theme||"Cars on the Road" by Bobby Hamrick|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||9|
|Production company||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Original release||September 8, 2022|
Cars on the Road is an American computer-animated streaming television series of shorts produced by Pixar Animation Studios for the Disney+ streaming service and based on the Cars franchise. The main cast includes Owen Wilson as Lightning McQueen and Larry the Cable Guy as Mater. The series is written by Steve Purcell and produced by Marc Sondheimer. Set after the events of Cars 3 (2017), Cars on the Road follows Lightning (Wilson) and Mater (Cable Guy) as they embark on a road trip to attend the wedding of Mater's sister, visiting various locations and characters along the way.
The series was announced in December 2020, during Disney's Investor Day. Sondheimer says the directors worked together to maintain continuity within the series. The title was revealed in November 2021, during Pixar's special for 2021's Disney+ Day. Concepts for the episodes include stories which pay homage to films such as Mad Max (1979) and The Shining (1980). The production designer altered the lighting to further evoke Ray Harryhausen's films. Production for the series took place over 15 months.
Cars on the Road premiered on September 8, 2022, as part of Disney+ Day. The series received positive reviews for its vocal performance, messages, humor, role models and homage to pop culture.
Sometime after the events of Cars 3 (2017), Lightning McQueen and his best friend Mater embark on a cross-country road trip around the United States to attend the wedding of Mater's sister, Mato. Along the way, they come across various locations and characters old and new.
- Owen Wilson as Lightning McQueen
- Larry the Cable Guy as Mater
- Quinta Brunson as Ivy
- Cristela Alonzo as Cruz Ramirez
- Dana Powell as Mato
- Oscar Camacho as Mateo
- Bonnie Hunt as Sally Carrera
- Jenifer Lewis as Flo
- Cheech Marin as Ramone
- Lloyd Sherr as Fillmore
- Tony Shalhoub as Luigi
- Guido Quaroni as Guido
- Tania Gunadi as Lisa
- Ruth Livier as Louise
- Steve Purcell as Randy / Wraith Rod
- Matt Yang King as Clutch Humboldt / Wraith Rod / Crew Pitty
- Kathy Holly as Speed Demon
- Masa Kansome as Noriyuki
- Toks Olagundoye as Margaret Motorray / Chiefess
- Gabby Sanalitro as Griswold
- Megan Cavanagh as Mae Pillar-Durev / Bella Cadavre
- Hayden Bishop as Kay Pillar-Durev / 1st AD
- Secunda Wood as Brakelight Pictures' producer
- Matt Lowe as Brakelight Pictures' crew members
- Zeno Robinson as Lance the Writer / Jeremy
- Dave Fennoy as Town Marshall / Justice Stern
- Tom Bromhead as Cap'n Long Leggy
- Debra Cardona as Squat
Red, Mack, Sheriff, Sarge and Lizzie make silent cameos in "Dino Park".
|No.||Title||Directed by ||Written by ||Storyboard by||Original air date |
|1||"Dino Park"||Steve Purcell||Steve Purcell||Brian Fee, Bobby Podesta, Steve Purcell & J. Garret Sheldew||September 8, 2022|
|Mater informs his friends at Radiator Springs that he'll be leaving the town for a few days to attend the wedding of his sister, Mato. Lightning McQueen offers to accompany him, and the two go on a road trip to the wedding. At McQueen's insistence, the two stop at a dinosaur museum, where Mater is scared by the dinosaur statues. Mater falls asleep and dreams of him and McQueen as dinosaurs, being attacked by other dinosaurs. He later wakes up, no longer afraid thanks to his dream, before leaving the park with McQueen.|
|2||"Lights Out"||Steve Purcell||Steve Purcell||Brian Fee & Steve Purcell||September 8, 2022|
|As a storm pours in, McQueen and Mater arrive at a spooky hotel, where they are greeted by a creepy clerk. Mater expresses fear of the hotel, but McQueen assures him to not be scared. That night, while Mater is asleep, McQueen explores the hotel, is haunted by several ghosts, and returns to his room by morning, terrified. As the duo leave the hotel, a ghost then taunts the camera.|
|3||"Salt Fever"||Brian Fee||Steve Purcell||Brian Fee, Bobby Podesta & J. Garret Sheldew||September 8, 2022|
|McQueen and Mater reach salt flats and come across land speed racers. A duo of mechanics take Mater and adds boosters to him. Mater proceeds to race, going further as he progresses to McQueen's cencern. Suddenly, the boosters fall apart and Mater is launched into the air. He experiences an out-of-chassis experience, meeting the soul of the Speed Demon, a car-ified version of the Grim Reaper. Mater returns to his body and uses his hook to prevent him from crashing. Both McQueen and Mater are bombarded by other cars piqued by the records the latter set, and flee the area.|
|4||"The Legend"||Brian Fee||Steve Purcell||Melony Cisinski & Brian Fee||September 8, 2022|
While camping on a mountain, Mater meets a group of investigators searching for "Bigfoot" due to supposed sightings in the mountain. After Mater agrees on behalf of both himself and McQueen to join them, the duo accompanies the group on their search. McQueen is carnapped in a shack tied up from ropes by the purported "Bigfoot", whom he discovers is actually Ivy, a monster truck who ran away to the mountains due to feeling uncomfortable smashing cars as a performance. Mater finds them at Ivy's shack, and the two agree to scare off the investigators by pretending to be aliens. The next morning, Ivy joins the duo on their road trip.In a post-credits scene, Mater dances on the road while McQueen cheers him on.
|5||"Show Time"||Bobby Podesta||Steve Purcell||Melony Cisinski & Bobby Podesta||September 8, 2022|
McQueen, Mater, and Ivy visit a car wash, where the latter two get cleaned. Later on, they see a traveling circus, which McQueen is hesitant to enter due to his fear of clowns. The three watch a show, and then Ivy is picked to perform a show where she crushes cars, similar to her previous shows. Instead of crushing the cars below, Ivy dances over them, amazing the others with her talent. Ivy is invited to stay at the circus as McQueen and Mater, leaving the circus, bid her goodbye.In a post-credits scene, a worker at the car wash listens to a song on the radio and bops to it.
|6||"Trucks"||Bobby Podesta||Steve Purcell||Bobby Podesta & Brandon Moon||September 8, 2022|
On the road, Mater expresses doubt whether he is a truck or not, as McQueen encourages him that he is one. The two come across a truck-filled rest stop. While McQueen looks around the store, all the trucks bring Mater into a musical number where they sing about their pride of being trucks. Once finished, a more confident Mater leaves with McQueen, who is unaware of the performance.In a post-credits scene, McQueen has the song stuck in his head, to Mater's shock.
|7||"B-Movie"||Brian Fee||Steve Purcell||Brian Fee||September 8, 2022|
|While driving through a city, McQueen and Mater observe the filming of a zombie sci-fi film. The crew notice McQueen and decide to cast him as a deputy, although the filming goes awry due to his bad acting. Meanwhile, Mater impresses the crew and is given multiple roles, to McQueen's jealousy. Mater later explains to McQueen that he can't be good at everything, which comforts him. The next day, the duo find out that the entire story was rewritten to be a musical instead, and Ivy has been cast as a leading role. McQueen and Mater, fired from the film, drive away.|
|8||"Road Rumblers"||Steve Purcell||Steve Purcell||Bobby Podesta, Steve Purcell & J. Garret Sheldew||September 8, 2022|
|While on the road, McQueen and Mater argue, come across a camp, and get captured by cars with spikes attached. The two are forced to compete in the Thundercone, a deadly battle royal where one has to successfully kill the other, while avoiding traps set around the upside-down cone arena that competitors fight on. The competition, however, is interrupted by the arrival of cars with electricity and solar power. One of the cars, Jeremy, explains that both sides used to be one camping group before conflicts emerged and factions were built. McQueen and Mater attempt to dissolve the fight by giving a speech, but it fails and the two flee, with Jeremy following. At a rest stop, they later see that both groups of cars have made peace.|
|9||"Gettin’ Hitched"||Bobby Podesta||Bobby Podesta and Steve Purcell||Bobby Podesta||September 8, 2022|
McQueen and Mater arrive at Mato's wedding at Mater's childhood home, where McQueen discovers that Mater comes from a wealthy family and that Mato's fiancé is Mateo, the cousin of his protégée, Cruz Ramirez. McQueen confesses to Ramirez that he's been uncomfortable with the trip due to his experiences. Meanwhile, Mater and Mato reunite, re-sparking their sibling rivalry until Ramirez helps them reconcile. At the wedding, Mater makes a speech that allows McQueen to come to terms with his experiences, and he suggests returning to Radiator Springs by road instead of a plane as he planned.In a post-credits scene, McQueen wonders where Mato and Mateo went to for their honeymoon, before the couple are shown at a tire maze, which McQueen and Mater had visited previously.
On December 10, 2020, Pixar announced on Disney Investors Day that an animated series starring Lightning McQueen and Mater traveling the country while meeting friends, new and old, was in development and that it would be released on Disney+ in the fall of 2022. It also announced that the series is written by Steve Purcell and produced by Marc Sondheimer, with Purcell, Bobby Podesta and Cars 3 director Brian Fee directing episodes for the series. According to Sondheimer, the directors worked together to maintain continuity within the series. On November 12, 2021, it was announced that the series would be titled Cars on the Road. Production for the series took place over 15 months.
The filmmakers wanted a short-form series because they felt it was the best way to explore the concept of a road trip, while also exploring the relationship between McQueen and Mater, as the producers felt the characters lacked screentime together. Each episode features a different tone and genre. The concept for the series was suggested by Purcell as the producers brainstormed ideas, having been inspired by a childhood road trip he took with his family; he wanted to explore how McQueen and Mater react to finding themselves in different scenarios. According to Purcell, the story for each episode was decided out of a basic scenario, after which the filmmakers pitched concepts that fit within the Cars world and had not been explored before. Concepts for the episodes include stories inspired by films such as Mad Max and The Shining. For Mater's relationship with his sister, Mato, Podesta drew inspiration from his relationship with his sisters.
On November 12, 2021, it was announced that Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy would reprise their respective roles as Lightning McQueen and Mater. According to director Brian Fee, Larry and Wilson were allowed to provide suggestions while recording their lines.
One of the episodes features a flashback sequence to the prehistoric era. For the flashback, animators were inspired by the work of stop-motion animator Ray Harryhausen, whose films Purcell watched in his childhood. For both the dinosaurs' movement and when McQueen and Mater's prehistoric counterparts are picked by the dinosaurs, animators deactivated the motion blur, which they did use for the rest of the sequence, to reflect the feeling of Harryhausen's films. The production designer also altered the lighting to further evoke his films. Other elements such as frames were also altered.
Following the trailer's release, it was revealed Jake Monaco composed the score for all nine episodes. Monaco also co-wrote the series' title theme song alongside director Bobby Podesta, with Bobby Hamrick performing the song. Each episode features a variation of the theme song to reflecting its style. The soundtrack, featuring Monaco's score and four songs, including two versions of the theme, was released on September 5, 2022.
|Cars on the Road|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||September 5, 2022|
All tracks are written by Jake Monaco, except where noted.
|1.||"Cars on the Road" (Main Title)||Bobby Podesta||Bobby Hamrick||0:20|
|2.||"Doo Wop in the Bucket"||1:54|
|5.||"Cars in the Carboniferous"||0:48|
|8.||"Cars Haunt the Road"||0:49|
|11.||"Cars on the Flats"||0:46|
|12.||"Wayne County Cryptid Busters"||1:20|
|14.||"A Reeeeal Scary Story"||1:45|
|15.||"Cars on the Fringe(s of Our Perception)"||1:24|
|19.||"Tip Tap Boom"||1:04|
|21.||"Cars in the Show"||0:48|
|23.||"TRUCKS"||Jake Monaco, Podesta, and Steve Purcell||Cars on the Road – Cast||3:00|
|24.||"Trucks on the Road"||0:37|
|26.||"Brain on Wheels"||Monaco and Purcell||Quinta Brunson||1:04|
|27.||"Cars on the Backlot"||0:46|
|29.||"Oil Cans Harry"||3:40|
|31.||"Charge on the Road"||0:39|
|33.||"Pomp & Odd Circumstances"||1:10|
|36.||"Road Back Home"||1:29|
|37.||"Cars on the Road"||Podesta and Monaco||Hamrick||2:54|
Cars on the Road premiered on September 8, 2022 on Disney+, part of Disney+ Day and consists of nine episodes.
The official trailer was released by Pixar’s YouTube channel on August 1, 2022. To promote the series' release, McDonald's launched its promotional campaign by including one of eight toys free with the purchase of a Happy Meal.
On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds a 92% approval rating, with an average rating of 7.00/10 based on 11 reviews.
Joel Keller of Decider found the series to be a classic buddy road trip, praising the humor and the way the show parodies pop culture, while applauding the performances of the voice actors, citing the dynamic between Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy. Polly Conway of Common Sense Media rated the series 4 out of 5 stars, praised the depiction of positive messages and role models, citing friendship and discovery, while finding the series entertaining across its humor and family-friendly. Randy Myers of The Mercury News gave the series 3 out of 4 stars, called the setup simple yet efficient and found the series joyful and entertaining, stating it succeeds to celebrate friendship across the characters, while acknowledging the references to pop culture.
Christopher Foreman, Elana Lederman, John Lockwood, Jae Jun Yi, Justin Ritter were nominated for the short "Road Rumblers" for the category Outstanding Achievement for Animated Effects in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production at the 50th Annie Awards.
- ^ a b c d e f "Disney+ Programming: Here's What Was Announced Or Confirmed For Streamer During Disney Investor Day". deadline.com. 11 December 2020.
- ^ a b c d e "'Cars on the Road' Disney+ Series Bringing Back Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy". collider.com. 12 November 2021.
- ^ @quintabrunson (August 1, 2022). "what I'm trying to say is that I'm a Disney/Pixar car now. My nephew is thrilled. @shanemadej @ryansbergara - what a world" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ a b c Behzadi, Sofia (2022-08-01). "'Cars On The Road' Pixar Series Gets Premiere Date On Disney+, First-Look Trailer". Deadline. Retrieved 2022-08-01.
- ^ Larasati, Dyah (2022-08-06). "'Cars on the Road': Trailer, Release Date, Cast, and Everything We Know So Far". Collider. Retrieved 2022-08-10.
- ^ "Disney+ Revs up 'Cars on the Road' with Clip, Credits, Images & Soundtrack Reveal". 6 September 2022.
- ^ "Every Pixar Project Announced at Disney's Investor Day, From Lightyear To Turning Red". Comic Book Resources. December 11, 2020. Archived from the original on December 19, 2020. Retrieved February 15, 2021.
- ^ a b "Cars On The Road Bobby Podesta and Marc Sondheimer Interview - video Dailymotion". Dailymotion. 2022-09-04. Retrieved 2022-09-04.
- ^ a b c d e Hermanns, Grant (2022-09-05). "Marc Sondheimer, Bobby Podesta, Steve Purcell & Brian Fee Interview: Cars on the Road". ScreenRant. Retrieved 2022-09-05.
- ^ a b c "Cars On The Road Steve Purcell and Brian Fee Interview - video Dailymotion". Dailymotion. 2022-09-04. Retrieved 2022-09-04.
- ^ a b "We Talk To Cars On The Road Directors On The Show's The Shining & Mad Max References". 2022-09-05. Retrieved 2022-09-06.
- ^ Scoop, Sarah (2022-09-05). "Interview: The Cast and Crew of Disney's Cars on the Road". Sarah Scoop. Retrieved 2022-09-06.
- ^ "Rev your engines: Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy return to voice Lightning McQueen and Mater in the #DisneyPlus Original Series: Cars on the Road, streaming in 2022! #DisneyPlusDay".
- ^ a b "'Cars on the Road' Soundtrack Album Details | Film Music Reporter". Retrieved 2022-09-05.
- ^ Behzadi, Sofia (August 1, 2022). "'Cars On The Road' Pixar Series Gets Premiere Date On Disney+, First-Look Trailer". deadline.com. Retrieved September 8, 2022.
- ^ "CARS ON THE ROAD: SEASON 1". Rotten Tomatoes.
- ^ "'Cars On The Road' Disney Plus Review: Stream It Or Skip It?". Retrieved 2022-09-09.
- ^ "Cars on the Road TV Review | Common Sense Media". www.commonsensemedia.org. Retrieved 2022-09-09.
- ^ Myers, Randy (2022-09-07). "What to watch". The Mercury News. Retrieved 2022-09-14.
- ^ Giardina, Carolyn (February 26, 2023). "'Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio' Wins Five Trophies Including the Top Prize at the 50th Annie Awards". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on February 26, 2023. Retrieved February 26, 2023.
- 2020s American animated television series
- 2022 American television series debuts
- American children's animated comedy television series
- American children's animated sports television series
- American computer-animated television series
- American sequel television series
- Animated television series about auto racing
- Television shows set in the United States
- Animated television shows based on films
- Cars (franchise)
- Disney animated television series
- Disney+ original programming
- English-language television shows
- Television series based on Disney films
- Television series by Pixar