|Born||April 27, 1977|
|Alma mater||University of Southern California|
Chicago-Kent College of Law
|Known for||founder of Muddy Waters Research|
|Title||Founder, CEO, & CIO of Muddy Waters Capital LLC|
Early life and career
Block went to work with his father, a period he describes as “very embittering” as he was “lied to by a parade of management” of internet companies. He quit equity analysis for law school, later moving to Shanghai before leaving law and setting up the self-storage business in 2007.
In September 2017, Block initiated a private lawsuit against Equifax, accusing the latter of neglecting to safeguard his personally identifiable information. He appears in the documentary The China Hustle, outlining his research into Securities fraud of Chinese companies through Muddy Waters. In early 2018, he was also forced to settle a case with St. Jude Medical Inc. in order to avoid a lawsuit.
Muddy Waters Investment Funds are domiciliated in the Cayman Island and Delaware. The Board of the Cayman domiciled fund includes a Director - Andrew Hersant - appearing in the "Paradise papers".
- "Carson Block: The man behind Muddy Waters, a scourge of listed Chinese companies". The Economist. 7 July 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Weil, Jonathan (10 January 2013). "Big China Short Shows Downside of Kleptocracy". Bloomberg View. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Kawa, Lucas (17 December 2012). "How Short-Seller Carson Block Became The Most Hated Man In China". Business Insider. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Shazar, Jon. "Carson Block's Effort To Avoid Becoming His Father A Serious Pain For Potentially Fraudulent Businesses". Dealbreaker. Retrieved 2020-03-31.
- "Bloomberg Markets Most Influential 50". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "My $500,000 lawsuit over the Equifax cyberbreach is personal, says short-seller Carson Block". cnbc.com. 2017-09-17. Retrieved 2020-02-12.
- Block, Carson. "Yes, China Does Cheat In Trade - The Rest Of The World Needs To Wake Up". Forbes.
- "UNIFORM APPLICATION FOR INVESTMENT ADVISER REGISTRATION AND REPORT BY EXEMPT REPORTING ADVISERS" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2021-04-28. Retrieved 2021-12-07.
- "SEC Report". sec.report. Retrieved 2021-12-07.
- "Hersant - Andrew | ICIJ Offshore Leaks Database". Archived from the original on 2022-01-05. Retrieved 2021-12-07.