Carson High School (Carson, California)
|Carson Senior High School|
|22328 South Main Street
Carson, California 90745
|School type||Public, high school|
|Motto||"Where Excellence Is the Expectation"|
|School district||Los Angeles Unified School District|
|Principal||Dr. Windy W. Warren|
|Color(s)||Black & Blue|
|Athletics conference||Marine League
CIF Los Angeles City Section
|Rival||Banning High School|
|Feeder schools||Carnegie Middle School, Stephen White Middle School|
Carson High School is a four-year public high school in Carson, California, United States. It is a part of the Los Angeles Unified School District. Carson High was ranked 974 on Newsweek's 1300 Top U.S. High Schools. Carson High is located on the corner of 223rd Street and Main Street. Carson's rivalry with Banning High School in Wilmington, Los Angeles, California is one of the top high school rivalries in the South Bay region of Los Angeles.
Small learning communities
Carson High offers eight small learning communities (SLCs) to its students. It is a school within a school. It is mandatory that each student be enrolled in one of these smaller education communities. Each SLC had its own building on campus.
- Advanced Studies Academy (Coordinator- Dr. Stephan Schuetze-Coburn)
- Accelerated Teaching Career Academy (Coordinator- Denise Rendon)
- Humanitas (Coordinator- Cathy Unzueta)
- Academy of Medical Arts (AMA) (Coordinator- Terri Ann Sullivan)
- Academy of Cultural & Ethnic Studies (Coordinator- Patricia Simmons)
- Performing Arts & Media Academy (Coordinator- Kevin Shaw)
- Sports Education Recreation Fitness (Coordinator- Wilson Labasan)
- Community of Arts, Technology, & Science (Coordinator- Bruce Nash)
- Academy of Business & Law Education (Coordinator- Wendy Gentry)
In the 2008-09 school year, there were a total of 3,552 students attending the high school.
- 45.9% Hispanic (1,632)
- 23.4% Filipino (832)
- 19.7% Black (700)
- 4.9% Pacific Islander (173)
- 3.3% White (118)
- 2.1% Asian (75)
- 0.6% Native American (92)
- Teachers: 141
- Student-teacher ratio: 26
- Average SAT score: 412 Verbal, 418 Math
- The Carson Colt football team is the winner of 11 Los Angeles City section championships and 2 state championships.
- The Carson Girls' Tennis team was undefeated in Marine League for 12 consecutive years from 1998-2010; highest record 129-0 matches.
- The Carson High School 'Marching Blue Thunder,' consisting of Carson's marching band, drill team, colorguard(tall flags), flaggies(short flags), and banner girls, won 6 consecutive LAUSD Band & Drill Team Championships in 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1988.
- The Carson Flaggies earned a three-peat of wins at USA Nationals in both 1 and 2 Flag divisions in 2004, 2005 and 2006. They are the originators of twirling three and four flags. They were featured in Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" video in 2005.
- The Carson Cheer and Song Team won USA National titles in the Show Cheer Division and Song/Pom in 2006 & 2007.
- The Song team also placed 1st at UCA/ UDA 2006 West Coast Championships 2009 Sharp National Champions 2010 United Spirit Association National Winners, Ranked 9th in the Nations
- In 1982 the team was featured in Tony Basil's popular song "Mickey" music video
- The Streetdance team, also known as CSD, won championships from 2000 to 2004. CSD was featured in Macy Gray's "Beauty in the World" Music Video.
- Ab-Soul, hip hop artist
- Ray J, singer, television personality
- Tony Caldwell, former NFL player
- J. R. Redmond, former NFL player
- Brian Treggs, former NFL player
- Morris Unutoa, former NFL player
- Wesley Walker, former NFL player
- Mike Wilson, former NFL player
- "An Annual Report to the Community". Los Angeles Unified School District. February 2006. Retrieved January 24, 2007.
- "Carson Senior High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 26, 2017.
- Mario Villegas , A 'Classic' for many reasons, ESPN Los Angeles, November 4, 2010
- "The best rivalry in the South Bay ..."
- "Carson-Banning Rivalry" Archived March 18, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.