Carsten Jensen (born 24 July 1952, Marstal, Denmark) is a Danish author and political columnist. He first earned recognition as a literary critic for the Copenhagen daily, Politiken. His novels, including I Have Seen the World Begin (1996), deal with knowledge of the world. For this novel he won the Danish booksellers award De Gyldne Laurbær (The Golden Laurel) in 1996. The year 2006 saw the publication of his novel Vi, de druknede (We, the Drowned), a chronicle about the birth of modern Denmark, seen through the history of his hometown Marstal.
In 2015, Den første sten appeared, a monumental novel about the experiences of a group of Danish soldiers who have volunteered for service in Afghanistan. Through their eyes, we are presented with a wide and disturbing panorama of the war in Afghanistan. Oddly enough, the novel does not appear to have been translated into English as at August 2017. The title translates "The first stone". It has been translated into German, Der erste Stein, as well as into Norwegian and Swedish.
- Salg, klasse og død, 1975
- Sjælen sidder i øjet, 1985
- På en mørkeræd klode, 1986
- Souveniers fra 80'erne, 1988
- Kannibalernes nadver, 1988
- Jorden i munden, 1991
- Af en astmatisk kritikers bekendelser, 1992
- Forsømmelsernes bog, 1993
- Jeg har set verden begynde, 1996
- Jeg har hørt et stjerneskud, 1997
- År to & tre, 1999
- Oprøret mod tyngdeloven, 2001
- Jorden rundt (2003)
- Livet i Camp Eden (2004)
- Det glemte folk – en rejse i Burmas grænseland (2004)
- Vi, de druknede (2006)
- Sidste rejse (2007)
- Vi sejlede bare – virkeligheden bag Vi, de druknede (2009)
- Ud (2010)
- Den første sten (2015)
- Krigen der aldrig ender. News stories from Afghanistan. Co-author: Anders Hammer. (Gyldendal 2016)
- Official website (English version).
- Carsten Jensen talks about his epic book We, the Drowned (Vi,de Druknede) in an audio slideshow on The Interview Online (In English).
- Finnish review about Vi, de druknede in Opettaja magazine 33/2009
|This article about a Danish writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|