|President of the Senate and Mayor of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen|
|Assumed office |
15 July 2015
|Preceded by||Jens Böhrnsen|
|Member of the Bundestag|
2009 – 2015
|Born||13 January 1959|
|Political party||Social Democratic Party|
Carsten Günter Erich Sieling (born 13 January 1959) is a German politician of the SPD. He is currently the President of the Senate and Mayor of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen since 15 July 2015.
Between 1996 and 2001, Sieling served on the board of the Bremen Consumer Association; from 1997, he was the chairman of the board.
From 2009 to 2015, Sieling was a member of the Bundestag, where he served on the Finance Committee. During the time of position held, he was his parliamentary group’s rapporteur on consumer protection in financial services. Between 2010 and 2013, he was a member of the Sub-Committee on Municipal Policy. From 2012, he also served as deputy chairman of the German-British Parliamentary Friendship Group.
Sieling resigned from his seat in parliament to become President of the Senate and Mayor of Bremen in July 2015, succeeding Jens Böhrnsen. As one of the state's representatives at the Bundesrat, he serves on the Committee on Foreign Affairs and on the Committee on Defence. Between October 2015 and October 2016, he chaired the Conference of Ministers-President.
In the negotiations to form a coalition government under the leadership of Chancellor Angela Merkel following the 2017 federal elections, Sieling was an SPD delegate in the working group on social affairs, led by Karl-Josef Laumann, Barbara Stamm and Andrea Nahles.
- BLG Logistics, Member of the Advisory Board
- ArcelorMittal Bremen, Member of the Supervisory Board (2013-2015)
- GEWOBA AG, Member of the Supervisory Board (2003-2010)
- Bremische Gesellschaft für Stadterneuerung, Stadtentwicklung und Wohnungsbau, Member of the Supervisory Board (1999-2003)
- Cultural Foundation of the German States (KdL), Member of the Council
- Deutsches Museum, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Friedrich Ebert Foundation (FES), Member
- German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP), Chairman of the Task Force on International Space Policy
- IG Metall, Member
- German United Services Trade Union (ver.di), Member
- Haus & Grund Bremen, Chairman of the Board (2009-2012)
- Das Rathaus Bremen Senatskanzlei (1959-01-13). "Senatskanzlei - The Mayor". Rathaus.bremen.de. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Deutscher Bundestag - Dr. Carsten Günter Erich Sieling, SPD" (in German). Bundestag.de. 2013-09-22. Archived from the original on 2015-04-23. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Advisory Board BLG Logistics.
- Board of Trustees Cultural Foundation of the German States (KdL).
- Members Friedrich Ebert Foundation (FES).
- Study Groups, Discussion Groups and Task Forces German Council on Foreign Relations.
|This article about a German politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|