|Born||Carsten Thorvald Woll
July 31, 1885
|Died||December 21, 1962
|Spouse(s)||Esther Erhart Woll|
Carsten Woll (1885-1962) was a leading Norwegian-American singer and recording artist of the 1910s and 1920s.
Woll immigrated to America in 1913 and was a professor first at Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota and then at St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota. In 1926 he also became the director of the Woll Music Studio in Minot, North Dakota. After retiring as a teacher of singing and music at St. Olaf College in 1951, he moved to Eugene, Oregon.
Carsten Woll was one of the big names in Norwegian-American music with nearly two thousand live performances and frequent appearances at choral festivals. He wrote several songs and compiled a songbook that was published by the Sons of Norway in 1926. There were over one hundred Norwegian songs in the collection as well as Home, Sweet Home and the songs of Stephen Foster.
Woll’s popularity as a singer made him one of the most sought-after Norwegian-American recording artists in the acoustic period. From 1913 to 1925 he recorded almost 200 titles for a number of record companies. Most of his recordings were made for Victor and Columbia, but he also appeared on the Edison, Vocalion, Okeh and Brunswick labels.
Norwegian immigrants in America had a strong emotional attachment to the folk melodies of their homeland, and Carsten Woll probably made more recordings of traditional Norwegian folk songs than any other artist. His discography included Eg gjette Tulla, Eg veit ei lita jente, Kjerringa med staven and Og reven lå under birkerot. On the other hand, his recording of Sommersol til siste stund was a Norwegian version of Silver threads among the gold.
- Norsk pop- og rockleksikon, (Oslo: Vega Forlag, 2005).
- Carsten Woll: sanger og komponist Archived April 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. mic.no. Retrieved: October 21, 2011.
- Sangbog for Sønner af Norge edited by Carsten Woll, (Minneapolis: Sønner af Norges forlag, 1926).
- Ethnic Music on Records: A Discography of Ethnic Recordings Produced in the United States, 1893-1942 by Richard K. Spottswood, (University of Illinois Press, 1990) LCCN 89-020526. Volume 5, pp. 2640 - 2646.
- 1926 Songbook
- Historic Newspapers
- Carsten Woll on Victor Records.
- Carsten Woll in 1921 Victor Catalog.
- Carsten Woll on Columbia Records.
- Streaming audio at the Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Project
- Streaming audio at the Library of Congress
- Streaming audio at the Internet Archive
- Carsten Woll
- Olle i Gråthult: More songs recorded by Woll and others.
- Norwegian songs
- Norwegian singers
- Gustavus Adolphus College
- Norwegian songs
- Aa kjøre vatten aa kjøre ved
- Deilig er jorden
- Den store hvide flok vi se
- Eg gjette Tulla
- Eg veit ei lita jente
- Kan du glemme gamle Norge
- Kjerringa med staven
- Og reven lå under birkerot
- Syng mig hjæm
- Sætergjentens Søndag
- Songs from English
- My heart and lute
- My heart and lute: Norwegian
- Silver threads among the gold
- Silver threads among the gold: Norwegian
- Swedish song