|Headquarters||Oakville, Ontario, Canada|
|Brian Semkiw (CEO), Wayne Clarke (CFO), Rui Mendes (CTO)|
|Products||Merchant services, prepaid solutions,Transaction processing, Host card emulation, Cloud and Secure Element, Tokenization (data security).|
Number of employees
Carta Worldwide is a Canadian software company that offers digital transaction processing, specializing in mobile and prepaid transactions. In addition to their Canadian headquarters, Carta has offices in London, Dubai, San Francisco and Casablanca. Carta operates internationally, providing financial technology and mobile payment software.
Carta was the world's first processor to complete integration to MasterCard MOTAPS, enabling rapid deployment for NFC programs. Their Charlottetown, PEI, data centre is the only secure third party issuer processing data host for financial services in Canada.
Carta was founded in 2006 in Oakville, Ontario by Robert Elensky. Company's headquarters were relocated in 2007 to Switzerland with service company offices were opened in Hong Kong and London, UK. Carta's Oakville office continued to operate as the company's research centre. Mr. Elensky served as Carta's CEO and Chairman until exiting the company in 2009.
Carta's CEO Brian Semkiw, is the co-founder of Rand Worldwide which had 1500 employees and had secured revenues of approximately $500 million by the time it was privatized in 2007. Profit Magazine named Semkiw "Entrepreneur of the Year" in 1996.
On September 15, 2014, Carta Worldwide closed the first tranche of a $12 million Series D venture round. Led by Toronto-based merchant bank Difference Capital and DC Thomson (UK), the $7-million investment adds to the more than $50 million the company has invested in its digital transaction processing platform.
|2013||Carta Worldwide - NFC Virtual Prepaid Platform||Best Virtual Campaign - Payment Exchange Prepaid & Payments Awards||Won|
|2014||Carta Worldwide||Best Contactless Solution - Emerging Payment Awards||Won|
|2014||Carta Worldwide||Best Payment Technological Innovation - Emerging Payment Awards ||Nominated|
|2014||PayWith, Carta Worldwide||Best Virtual or Mobile Program - Payments Exchange Prepaid & Payment Awards||Won|
|2014||Carta Worldwide Host Card Emulation (HCE) with Remote Secure Element (RSE) for NFC||Best Prepaid & Payments Innovation - Payments Exchange Prepaid & Payment Awards ||Nominated|
|2014||Bread4Scrap - Payment Card Solutions (Carta Worldwide)||Boundary Buster - PayBefore Awards Europe||Won|
|2015||DCR Strategies - TruCash Wallet (MasterCard & Carta Worldwide)||Breakout Company of the Year - PayBefore Awards ||Won|
|2015||DCR Strategies - TruCash Wallet (MasterCard & Carta Worldwide)||Gotta-Have Mobile App of the Year - PayBefore Awards ||Won|
|2015||By The Booth - Carta Worldwide (Mobile Payments Commercial)||Marketing (Product) Video - AVA Digital Awards (Platinum)||Won|
|2015||By The Booth - Carta Worldwide (Mobile Payments Commercial) ||Marketing (Product) Video - Hermes Creative Awards (Platinum) ||Won|
|2015||Carta Worldwide||Contactless Bank Card Payments enabled on Vodafone Wallet (Oct 2015) ||Nominated|
|2015||Raphaels Bank, Carta Worldwide, Visa, Vodafone||Mobile Payments Solution of the Year - Payments Awards (Nov 2015) ||Nominated|
|2015||Raphaels Bank, Carta Worldwide, Visa, Vodafone||Best Contactless Payments Project - Payments Awards (Nov 2015) ||Nominated|
- "Contactless Card Payments enabled on Vodafone Wallet with Visa and Carta Worldwide", vodafone.com, March 30, 2015.
- Clark, Sarah. "Banco Sabadell picks Carta for HCE payments trial", NFC World. March 4, 2014.
- "Westpac tests NFC-enabled mobile payments using HCE in New Zealand", July 22, 2014.
- "Novum Bank Selects Carta Worldwide as Processing Platform for Prepaid Card and Debit Card Portfolios", March 31, 2014.
- "ACT Canada June 2014 ACTion Newsletter: MasterCard and DCR Strategies Collaborate to Launch User Friendly Prepaid Reload Service in Canada". ACT Canada. Archived from the original on 3 July 2015. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "DCR Strategies / TruCash and Carta Worldwide Partner on "Next Generation" Mobile Payments". Debit Credit Rewards. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "Carta Worldwide Completes a World First with MasterCard", MasterCard Newsroom, May 10, 2011.
- "Carta Worldwide setting up shop in Charlottetown", CBC News, September 10, 2014
- "Carta Worldwide". The Canadian Business Journal. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- Official Carta website Archived September 20, 2014, at the Wayback Machine., retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Brian Semkiw P. Eng. Executive Profile", Bloomberg Businessweek, retrieved September 3, 2014.
- Waddell, Nick. "Difference Capital leads first tranche of $12-million Series D in Carta Worldwide", Cantech Letter, September 15, 2014
- Dorbian, Iris. "Difference Capital and DC Thomson back Carta", Reuters PE Hub, September 16, 2014
- Boden, Rian. "Vodafone combines tokens and SIMs for NFC payments in Europe" NFC World. March 30, 2015. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- Balaban, Dan. "Vodafone Seeks to Revamp Wallet with Tokenization and Apple Pay Technology Model". NFC Times. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "Payments eXchange Announces Results of the 2013 PX Prepaid & Payments Awards", Payments Exchange, June 13, 2013.
- "Previous Winners". Emerging Payments Awards. Archived from the original on 31 July 2015. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "Winners: Prepaid & Payments Awards". Payments Exchange. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "Paybefore Announces Winners for European Awards". Paybefore. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "2015 Paybefore Awards: Breakout Company of the Year". Paybefore. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "2015 Paybefore Awards: Gotta-Have Mobile App". Paybefore. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "Projects - Carta Worldwide". By The Booth. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "2015 Platinum Winners". AVA Digital Awards. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "2015 Platinum Award Winners". Hermes Creative Awards. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "2015 - Finalists". Emerging Payments Awards. Archived from the original on 29 August 2015. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "Payments Awards Shortlist". Payments Awards. Archived from the original on 18 March 2015. Retrieved 14 August 2015.