|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||290.36 g/mol g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
Cartazolate (SQ-65,396) is a drug of the pyrazolopyridine class. It acts as a GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulator at the barbiturate binding site of the complex and has anxiolytic effects in animals. It is also known to act as an adenosine antagonist at the A1 and A2 subtypes and as a phosphodiesterase inhibitor. Cartazolate was tested in human clinical trials and was found to be efficacious for anxiety but was never marketed. It was developed by a team at E.R. Squibb and Sons in the 1970s.
Condensation of aminopyrazole (1) with diethyl ethoxymethylenemalonate (2) gives the product of the addition-elimination (3). The product tautomerizes spontaneously to the hydroxypyridine (4). The hydroxyl group is then converted to the chloro-derivative by means of phosphorus oxychloride (5). Displacement of halogen by n-butylamine gives the antidepressant compound cartazolate. Displacement of halogen by the basic nitrogen of acetone hydrazone affords the antidepressant etazolate.
- Placheta P, Karobath M (March 1980). "In vitro modulation by SQ 20009 and SQ 65396 of GABA receptor binding in rat CNS membranes". European Journal of Pharmacology. 62 (2–3): 225–8. doi:10.1016/0014-2999(80)90281-2. PMID 6103810.
- Supavilai P, Karobath M (March 1981). "Action of pyrazolopyridines as modulators of [3H]flunitrazepam binding to the gaba/benzodiazepine receptor complex of the cerebellum". European Journal of Pharmacology. 70 (2): 183–93. doi:10.1016/0014-2999(81)90213-2. PMID 6114867.
- Leeb-Lundberg F, Snowman A, Olsen RW (May 1981). "Perturbation of benzodiazepine receptor binding by pyrazolopyridines involves picrotoxinin/barbiturate receptor sites". Journal of Neuroscience. 1 (5): 471–7. PMID 7050308.
- Bristow DR, Martin IL (March 1990). "Biochemical characterization of an isolated and functionally reconstituted gamma-aminobutyric acid/benzodiazepine receptor". Journal of Neurochemistry. 54 (3): 751–61. doi:10.1111/j.1471-4159.1990.tb02315.x. PMID 2154549.
- Daly JW, Hong O, Padgett WL, Shamim MT, Jacobson KA, Ukena D (February 1988). "Non-xanthine heterocycles: activity as antagonists of A1- and A2-adenosine receptors". Biochemical Pharmacology. 37 (4): 655–64. doi:10.1016/0006-2952(88)90139-6. PMC 3445624. PMID 2829919.
- Wachtel H (1982). "Characteristic behavioural alterations in rats induced by rolipram and other selective adenosine cyclic 3', 5'-monophosphate phosphodiesterase inhibitors". Psychopharmacology. 77 (4): 309–16. doi:10.1007/BF00432761. PMID 6182575.
- O'Brien, Robert (1986). Receptor binding in drug research. New York: Dekker. p. 519. ISBN 0-8247-7548-1.
- US Patent 3966746 Amino derivatives of pyrazolopyridine carboxamides