Carte Blanche (Norwegian dance company)
Carte Blanche is the Norwegian national company of contemporary dance, based in Bergen in western Norway. Since August 2008 the artistic and general director of the company is Bruno Heynderickx from Belgium. Choreographers who have recently worked with Carte Blanche include Ina Christel Johannessen, Alan Lucien Øyen, Sharon Eyal (from Batsheva Dance Company), and Rui Horta.
The company produces a minimum of three new choreographic works a year and performs an average of four to six productions every year. While the home base of the company is in Bergen, the company spends lots of time touring elsewhere in Norway (e.g. Oslo Opera House), but also abroad. Some recent international performances include:
- "Klokka 3 om ettermiddagen" (3 o'clock in the afternoon) by Ina Christel Johannessen at the "Ice hot – Nordic dance platform" festival in Stockholm, Sweden,
- "Corps de Walk" by Sharon Eyal in Turku, Finland, as a part of city's activities as a European Capital of Culture in 2011
- "Ambra" by Ina Christel Johannessen, a co-production between Carte Blanche and Iceland Dance Company staged at the Reykjavík Arts Festival and the Bergen International Festival. Johannessen received the 2008 Norwegian Critics Price for her choreography of Ambra.
- "Killer Pig" and "Love" by Sharon Eyal at the Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, Becket, MA, USA
The history of Carte Blanche in Bergen starts in 1989, first as a regional dance theatre. After a turbulent start including a bankruptcy, the company has gained a solid position, and is currently the national contemporary dance theatre of Norway. Carte Blanche is owned and funded by the Norwegian state (70%), the County of Hordaland (15%) and the City of Bergen (15%).
- Ice hot – Nordic dance platform på Dansens hus, Moderna dansteatern, c/o Stadsteater Dagens nyheter 5.12.2010
- Carte Blanche – Sharon Eyal 2011 - Corps de Walk Turku 2011
- Ambra Íd Iceland Dance Company
- Dansekritikerprisen 2007/2008 til Ina Christel Johannessen kritikerlaget.no
- Menacing Working Girls Stuck in Punishing Grind The New York Times 30 Jun 2011
- Carte Blanche Norway - the official site in the United States
- Dansefeber på Carte Blanche ("Dance fever at Carte Blanche"), Bergens Tidene 30 Jan 2011