Carter in 2008
January 30, 1970
Norwich, CT, U.S.
|Occupation||Artist, director, author, screenwriter|
Carter studied at the Maryland Institute College of Art, earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1992. He then studied at the Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture in 1994, and the University of California, Davis, earning an MFA degree in 1997.
Carter is best known for his artwork that spans various media from painting and photography to sculptural installations, film and video. His works have been exhibited internationally, including the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Tate Modern, London, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the USA Today and Abstract America exhibitions, at the Saatchi Gallery in London, England. His works have also been shown at the Royal Academy in London and the Museion in Bolzano, Italy. A comprehensive catalogue of Carter's work edited by Georg Kargl was published in 2008 titled, An Arm with Hair, (The Vienna Catalogue 1973). Publication Studios in 2009 published Carter's "California Film: 1996".
Carter's first feature film, Erased James Franco was released in 2008. It stars the American actor, James Franco in a performance that has him reenact every film and television appearance from his entire career. The film also features Franco playing the part of Julianne Moore as her character in the film Safe directed by Todd Haynes and as Rock Hudson in the 1966 film Seconds.
James Franco's appearances as a version of 'himself' on the daytime soap opera, General Hospital was inspired by Carter and can be seen as another facet or an extension of the work that began with the film, Erased James Franco.
Maladies, written and directed by Carter was filmed in New York in December 2010. It stars Catherine Keener, James Franco, David Strathairn, Alan Cumming, Fallon Goodson and Mary Beth Peil and its soundtrack was composed by J Ralph. In 2013, Maladies, premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival and the SXSW film festival in Austin and was released theatrically and VOD through Tribeca Films in March, 2014.
Carter's Polaroid photography can be seen in the traveling exhibition, The Polaroid Years: Instant Photography and Experimentation and in the publication The Polaroid Years: Instant Photography and Experimentation.
- "Carter: "Beside Myself" at Lisa Cooley" by R. Thurmann, ArtObserved, April 22, 2014
- Carter by Morgan Falconer, Frieze Magazine, September, 2007
- Carter by Mark Rappolt, Art Review Magazine, September, 2009
- Negative Thinking by Dennis Lim, Artforum, April, 2009
- Carter: A Couple of Random Characters in Search of an Author by, Susan Miller, Sightlines, 2012
- Carter at Jack Hanley by, Glen Helfand, Artforum, September, 2006
- Carter at Salon 94, New York
- Carter at Salon 94, Freemans by, Morgan Falconer, Frieze, May 10, 2009
- Director Carter on "Maladies" & Making Art with James Franco by, Miranda Siegel, Bullett, February 13, 2013
- In a Word: Carter by Aaron Krach, Advocate, April 6, 2009
- 5 Questions with "Maladies" Director Carter SXSW Baby, March 1, 2014
- Carter interview, FILMMAKER magazine, 2013 by Alexandra Byer, March 12, 2013
- "Maladies" Art Imitating Life by, Joshua Stecker, Hollywood Reporter, March 17, 2013
- Conceptual Artist Carter on James Franco’s General Hospital Appearance: “It was my idea” by, Cathy Yan, The Wall Street Journal, December 3, 2009
- "Maladies" Premiere, Berlin by, Susan Stone, Los Angeles Times, February 12, 2013
- (R)evolution in Berlin: 63rd Berlinale Resurrects Berlin's Cultural Heritage by, Lisa Paul Streitfeld, The Huffington Post, February 26, 2013
- Negative Thinking by, Dennis Lim, Artforum, April 8, 2009
- Erased JF by, David Ng, Los Angeles Times, April 21, 2009
- Peter Davis' Status Update: Carter's "Erased James Franco" by, Peter Davis, Paper Magazine, October 17, 2008
- The American premiere of Carter’s new film at MoMA by, Jennifer Krasinski, Frieze, April 23, 2009
- "It Doesn't Get More Meta Than James Franco's Art-House Debut" by, Jill Krasny, "Flavorwire", Apr 8, 2009
- Carter: Top 10 Best at Frieze, 2008 by, Ben Lewis, London Evening Standard, October 16, 2008
- "Whitney Museum of American Art". Biennial Catalogue. Retrieved October 26, 2007.
- An Evening with Carter
- Erased James Franco
- Erased James Franco
- Carter Exhibit at the Saatchi Gallery
- Georg Kargl
- An Arm with Hair, (The Vienna Catalogue 1973) (ISBN 978-3-7082-3254-6)
- "California Film: 1996, (ISBN 978-0-9843-0607-7)
- Yvon Lambert, producer
- Conceptual Artist Carter on James Franco’s General Hospital Appearance: “It was my idea”
- Schedule, sxsw.com
- The Polaroid Years: Instant Photography and Experimentation. ISBN 978-3791352640