Cartier Island Marine Park
|Cartier Island Marine Park|
Map showing the Cartier Island Marine Park. The area is a Sanctuary Zone ('no take' zone).
|Area||172 km2 (66 sq mi)|
|Established||21 June 2000|
The Cartier Island Marine Park (previously known as the Cartier Island Marine Reserve) is an Australian marine park that covers the Cartier Island and reef surrounds, about 610 km (380 mi) north of Broome, Western Australia. The marine park covers an area of 172 km2 (66 sq mi) and is assigned IUCN category Ia (Sanctuary Zone). It is one of the 13 parks managed under the North-west Marine Parks Network.
Species and habitat
- Internationally significant for its abundance and diversity of sea snakes.
- Significant feeding populations of green, hawksbill and loggerhead turtles occur around the reefs.
- Supports some of the most important seabird rookeries on the North West Shelf including colonies of bridled terns, common noddies, brown boobies, eastern reef egrets, frigatebirds, tropicbirds, red-footed boobies, roseate terns, crested terns and lesser crested terns.
- Important staging points/feeding areas for many migratory seabirds.
Bioregions and other features
- Covers the North West Shelf and Timor Province provincial bioregions.
- Emergent oceanic reefs.
- Ann Millicent historic shipwreck.
The Marine Park was originally proclaimed under the National Parks and Wildlife Conservation Act 1975 on 21 June 2000 as the Cartier Island Marine Reserve, and proclaimed under the EPBC Act on 14 December 2013 and renamed Cartier Island Marine Park on 9 October 2017.
Summary of protection zones
The following table is a summary of the zoning rules within the Cartier Island Marine Park:
|Vessel transiting||Recreational fishing||Commercial fishing||Commercial aquaculture||Commercial tourism||Mining|
|Sanctuary Zone||Ia||No||No||No||No||aviation only, with approval||No|
|External link: Zoning and rules for the North-west Marine Parks Network|
- Map data: Sanctuary IUCN Ia and National Park IUCN II zones ('no take' zones) from Australian Marine Parks, (2018) Australian Government Department of the Environment and Energy. CC BY 4.0. http://www.environment.gov.au/fed/catalog/search/resource/details.page?uuid=%7BCD8877F3-8C39-4A20-A53F-070FBEE5AF3C%7D
- "Way: Cartier Island Marine Park (598668949". OpenStreetMap. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- "North-west Marine Parks Network Management Plan 2018" (PDF). Parks Australia. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Cartier Island Commonwealth Marine Reserve". Commonwealth Marine Reserves. Department of the Environment, Australian Government. 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2014-04-14.
- "Authorities close off Cartier Island". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 2003-06-06.
- "Cartier Island Commonwealth Marine Reserve - Overview". environment.gov.au. © Commonwealth of Australia (CC BY 3.0 AU). Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- Domaschenz, Phil (2001). "Management arrangements for the Ashmore Reef Nature Reserve & Cartier Island Marine Reserve" (PDF). Understanding the Cultural and Natural Heritage Values and Management Challenges of the Ashmore Region. Department of the Environment, Australian Government: 11.