Packaging machines which form a carton board blank into a carton filled with a product or bag of products or number of products say into single carton, after the filling, the machine engages its tabs / slots to apply adhesive and close both the ends of carton completely sealing the carton.
Cartoning machines can be divided into two types:
A cartoning machine which picks a single piece from stack of folded carton and erects it, fills with a product or bag of products or number of products horizontally through an open end and closes by tucking the end flaps of the carton or applying glue or adhesive. The product might be pushed in the carton either through the mechanical sleeve or by pressurized air. For many applications however, the products are inserted into the carton manually. This type of Cartoning machine is widely used for packaging foodstuffs, confectionery, medicine, cosmetics, sundry goods, etc.
A cartoning machine which erects a folded carton, fills with a product or number of products vertically through an open end and closes by either tucking the end flaps of the carton or applying glue or adhesive, is called an end load cartoning machine. Cartoning machines are widely used for packaging bottled foodstuffs, confectionery, medicine, cosmetics, etc., and can vary based on the scale of business.
- Control Engineering. Automation in Packaging Benchmark Study[permanent dead link], Retrieved 10 May 2010.
- US 425460, Vogel, Walter H. & Close, Thomas E., "Cartoner and product infeed conveyor therefor", published 1981-03-10, assigned to Redington Inc.
- Packaging Digest. Automation in Packaging Archived February 22, 2010, at the Wayback Machine, Retrieved 10 May 2010.
- US 5787680, Tisma, Stevan & Zabran, Steven, "Horizontal cartoner with vertically articulating product trays for multiple counts/layers of wrapped products", published 1998-08-04, assigned to Tisma Machinery Corp.
- US 4802324, Everson, William G., "Vertical cartoning assembly and method", published 1989-02-07, assigned to Minnesota Automation Inc.
- Delkor Media Library. Carton Videos - Cartoning Overview Archived May 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine, Retrieved 10 May 2010.
- Econocorp Publications. Five Essential Steps for Choosing a Cartoning Machine Archived July 14, 2014, at the Wayback Machine, Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Hanlon, Kelsey, and Forcinio; Handbook of Package Engineering (CRC Press, 1998)
- Soroka, W, "Fundamentals of Packaging Technology", IoPP, 2002, ISBN 1-930268-25-4
- Yam, K. L., "Encyclopedia of Packaging Technology", John Wiley & Sons, 2009, ISBN 978-0-470-08704-6