Cartoon Network (Canada)
|Launched||September 1, 2015|
|Owned by||Corus Entertainment
(Teletoon Canada Inc.)
(branding licensed from Time Warner)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
480i letterboxed for SDTV feed
|Slogan||Are You CN What We're Sayin'?|
(Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct and Rogers Cable)
Disney La Chaîne
|Website||Cartoon Network Canada|
|Bell TV||Channel 564 (SD)|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 536 (SD), Channel 077 (HD)|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 507 (HD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 567 (SD)
Channel 1567 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 157 (SD)
Channel 1157 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 9627 (SD)
Channel 627 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 46 (SD)
Channel 346 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 64 (SD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 151 (SD)|
Cartoon Network is a Canadian English-language Category B specialty channel based on the U.S. cable network of Cartoon Network, which broadcasts animated programming aimed at Canadian children and teens, and its Canadian late night counterpart, Adult Swim, which targets young adults. The channel is owned by Corus Entertainment, with the Canadian Cartoon Network and Adult Swim brands in use through a Canadian licensing agreement with Time Warner.
The channel is available in standard definition and high definition, and has two traditional Eastern and Pacific feed schedules. As of September 2015, it is available in 5 million households and carried by Cogeco, EastLink, SaskTel, Rogers Cable, Bell Fibe TV, Bell Aliant TV, Optik TV, Vidéotron, Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct.
After obtaining a license from the CRTC in November 2011 for the service Teletoon Kapow, Teletoon Canada (a joint venture of Astral Media and Corus Entertainment) announced in February 2012 the launch of Cartoon Network and the programming block Adult Swim in Canada. The channel was launched on July 4, 2012. In preparation, programming blocks were introduced to Teletoon and Teletoon Retro.
On March 4, 2013, Corus Entertainment announced that it would acquire Astral Media's 50% ownership interest in Teletoon Canada, as part of Astral's pending acquisition by Bell Media (which had earlier been rejected by the CRTC in October 2012, but was restructured to allow the sale of certain Astral Media properties in order to allow the purchase to clear regulatory hurdles).
Corus's purchase was cleared by the Competition Bureau two weeks later on March 18. On December 20, 2013, the CRTC approved Corus's full ownership of Teletoon Canada and it was purchased by Corus on January 1, 2014. The channel continues to be owned by Teletoon Canada, now wholly owned by Corus Entertainment under its Corus Kids division.
In August 2015, internal sources at Corus reported that Cartoon Network would be moved to the channel allotments of Teletoon Retro, which was being shut down on September 1, 2015. It was stated that this change would enable the channel to have wider distribution, as Teletoon Retro was carried by more providers than Cartoon Network, specifically Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct and Rogers Cable. Legally, as of September 1, 2015, Cartoon Network now operates under the auspices of the Category B license that was originally assigned for Teletoon Retro. The original Cartoon Network license was mothballed, and returned to the CRTC on October 2, 2015.
- Jeremy Dickson (2014-02-10). "Corus unveils Teletoon integration plan". Kidscreen. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- CNW TELETOON Canada Inc. and Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. Bring Cartoon Network and Adult Swim to Canada in 2012 Teletoon Canada Inc. press release 2012-02-02
- "Corus' Cartoon Network Expands Distribution and Announces Fall Schedule" (Press release). Broadcaster Magazine. September 3, 2015. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- "Check it: Cartoon Network to launch in Canada - July 4, 2012".
- Wilford, Denette (February 2, 2012). "Cartoon Network, Adult Swim Coming To Canada". Huffington Post. Retrieved February 3, 2012. External link in
- BCE to sell assets to Corus as part of Astral deal, The Globe and Mail (via Reuters and The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- "Competition Bureau clears Corus acquisition of Astral assets". The Globe and Mail. The Canadian Press. 2013-03-18. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Vessing, Etan (2013-12-20). "Corus/Teletoon Deal Approved by CRTC". Kidscreen. Brunico Communications. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Receives CRTC Approval on TELETOON Canada Inc., Historia and Séries+ Acquisitions". Corusent.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Completes Purchase of Historia, Séries+ and TELETOON Canada Inc". Corusent.com. 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- "Ownership Chart 32b" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- O'Brien, Greg (11 August 2015). "Corus to shutter Teletoon Retro in favour of Cartoon Network.". CARTT. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Corus Entertainment's Cartoon Network Expands Distribution to Over 5 Million Subscribers" (Press release). Toronto: Corus Entertainment. September 3, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- "Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-451". CRTC. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- "Corus ownership chart" (PDF). CRTC. Retrieved 3 October 2015.