Cartoon Network Racing
|Cartoon Network Racing|
PlayStation 2 version cover art
|Developer(s)||Firebrand Games (NDS)
The Game Factory
Cartoon Network Interactive
|Publisher(s)||The Game Factory
Cartoon Network Racing is a racing video game made by Cartoon Network Interactive, Eutechnyx, Firebrand Games (Nintendo DS version) and The Game Factory. It was released on December 4, 2006 in North America, and on February 9, 2007 in Europe. The gameplay is similar to Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, but the characters and racetracks are from Cartoon Network's original animated television series. The six series featured are Courage the Cowardly Dog, Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Laboratory, I Am Weasel, Johnny Bravo, and The Powerpuff Girls.
There are two characters the player must choose: a driver, who drives a go-kart, and a co-driver, who uses all weapons and has two "toon powers". There are tournaments which players must race a series of races and win with the most points. Battle modes in arenas let two teams battle in different modes, and Cartoon Eliminators are endurance races where last kart in each lap is eliminated. The karts have three stats: acceleration, speed, and handling (if chosen as driver). If co-driver, they have two toon powers that fall into four categories: Shield, Attack, Boost and Flight.
In the DS version, there are 20 characters, and each character gets their own kart (the Powerpuff Girls have separate karts, unlike the PS2 version). The characters each have one toon power that can be used when their toon power bar is filled up. There are 1-8 players available in this version. Unlike the PlayStation 2 version, there are two mini-games and three cartoons.
- Johnny Bravo
- Bunny Bravo (Unlockable)
- Suzy (DS Unlockable)
- Carl (PS2 only)
- Flem (Unlockable, PS2 only)
- Earl (PS2 only)
- Dee Dee (DS Unlockable)
- Dexter's Mom (Unlockable, PS2 only)
- Dexter's Dad (Unlockable, PS2 only)
- Mandark (DS Unlockable)
- The Powerpuff Girls (as one character; PS2 only)
- Blossom (DS only)
- Bubbles (DS only)
- Buttercup (DS only)
- Professor Utonium (DS Unlockable)
- Mojo Jojo (DS Unlockable)
- Him (Unlockable)
- Fuzzy Lumpkins (Unlockable, PS2 only)
- I.M. Weasel
- I.R. Baboon (DS Unlockable)
- Red Guy (Unlockable)
- Muriel (DS Unlockable)
- Eustace (Unlockable)
There are a total of 18 tracks, 12 of them being bonus tracks like the haunted house. The other six tracks are themed by their respective shows. Each of the cartoon-themed tracks are based together on a single map with each track taking a different route on the map.
- Cow and Chicken: Cow & Chicken's School
- I Am Weasel: Construction Site
- Johnny Bravo: Johnny's Neighborhood
- Dexter's Laboratory: Dexter's Lab
- The Powerpuff Girls: Townsville
- Courage the Cowardly Dog: Bagge Farmhouse
- The Farm
- The Haunted Mansion
- The Harbor
- The Icy Mountain
- The Wild West
- Rocky Mountain Trail
- The Theme Park
- The Pinball Machine
- The Spooky Mine
- The Castle
- The Jungle
- Volcano Island
Nintendo DS version
There are 16 courses in total with 4 of them divided into 4 cups. Each course has a toon coin to find. The courses that are italic are themed for cartoon shows.
- Aron City Speedway
- Death Rally
- Desert Island Dash
- Cow and Chicken's Track and Field
- Natural Parkway
- Dexter's Laboratory
- Snow Sunday Drive
- Townsville Raceway
- Middle of Nowhere
- Wild West Backlot
- Evil Glade
- Strange Alien Race
- Chemical X
- Cross Townsville Traffic
- Mount Rush Much More
- Outer Space Chase
- Mandark's Laboratory
There is a gallery in the PlayStation 2 version that contains two cartoons for each show. The first cartoon can be unlocked by completing each cartoon-themed tournament while the other can be unlocked by winning the super tournament with the driver of the show you want to unlock.
|Show||Unlocked in 1st Tournament||Unlocked in Super Tournamant|
|Dexter's Laboratory||"Dexter's Rival"||"Mandarker"|
|Cow and Chicken||"Black Sheep of the Family"||"Child Star"|
|I Am Weasel||"Enemy Camp"||"My Friend the Smart Banana"|
|Johnny Bravo||"Doommates"||"Johnny's Telethon"|
|The Powerpuff Girls||"Telephonies"||"Tough Love"|
|Courage the Cowardly Dog||"Robot Randy"||"The Magic Tree of Nowhere"|
- Candi Milo: Dexter
- Kat Cressida: Dee Dee
- Jeff Glen Bennett: Dexter's Dad (PS2 only), Johnny Bravo
- Kath Soucie: Dexter's Mom (PS2 only)
- Eddie Deezen: Mandark
- Catherine Cavadini: Blossom
- Tara Strong: Bubbles
- E.G. Daily: Buttercup
- Tom Kane: Professor Utonium, Him
- Roger L. Jackson: Mojo Jojo
- Jim Cummings: Fuzzy Lumpkins (PS2 only)
- Marty Grabstein: Courage
- Arthur Anderson: Eustace
- Thea White: Muriel
- Charlie Adler: Cow, Chicken, I.R. Baboon, The Red Guy
- Dan Castellaneta: Earl (PS2 only)
- Howard Morris: Flem (PS2 only)
- Michael Dorn: I.M. Weasel
- Mae Whitman: Suzy
- Brenda Vaccaro: Bunny Bravo
- Tom Kenny: Carl (PS2 only)
The game was met with mixed reception upon release. GameRankings and Metacritic gave it a score of 62.71% and 55 out of 100 for the DS version, and 46.83% and 39 out of 100 for the PlayStation 2 version.
Lucas M. Thomas of IGN gave the Nintendo DS version of the game a score of 5.8 out of 10. In his review, he criticized the game for its similarities to the Mario Kart series, especially Mario Kart DS, as well as for having no "fresh" Cartoon Network characters featured in it. GameSpot's Aaron Thomas gave the same version 6.3 out of 10. He also pointed out the resemblance to Mario Kart, but he explained that a younger audience would find the game more enjoyable than an audience of serious gamers would.
- "Cartoon Network Racing for DS". GameRankings. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- "Cartoon Network Racing for PlayStation 2". GameRankings. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- "Cartoon Network Racing for DS Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- "Cartoon Network Racing for PlayStation 2 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- Andrien, Chris (December 11, 2006). "Cartoon Network Racing Review (PS2)". Game Revolution. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- Thomas, Aaron (December 18, 2006). "Cartoon Network Racing Review (DS)". GameSpot. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- Thomas, Aaron (December 18, 2006). "Cartoon Network Racing Review (PS2)". GameSpot. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- Knutson, Michael (December 15, 2006). "Cartoon Network Racing - NDS - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on December 26, 2008. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- Bedigian, Louis (January 9, 2007). "Cartoon Network Racing - PS2 - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on December 30, 2008. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- Thomas, Lucas M. (January 11, 2007). "Cartoon Network Racing Review (NDS)". IGN. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- Roper, Chris (December 5, 2006). "Cartoon Network Racing Review (PS2)". IGN. Retrieved December 25, 2014.