Carver Military Academy
|Carver Military Academy|
|13100 S. Doty Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60827
|School type||Public Secondary Military|
|Motto||Academic achievement is at the center of our philosophy.|
2000 (as military academy)
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Steven E. Rouse|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
George Washington Carver Military Academy (formerly known as George Washington Carver Area High School) is a public 4–year military high school located in the Riverdale area on the far south side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. Carver is named for African-American scientist and educator George Washington Carver. Carver opened in 1947.
Carver was founded in 1947 as a neighborhood high school, when in 1999 Chaplain Lt. Colonel Antonio R. Daggett, Sr (Military Commandant) United States Army was called upon by Creg E. Williams (Chicago Public Schools Director), Paul Vallas (CEO of Chicago Public Schools) and Richard J. Daley Jr. (City Mayor) with community support to begin the transition into becoming a military academy by 2004. In establishing Carver Military Academy, Col. Daggett founded the second public military high school in the United States, and the first public military high school in the country that was transitioned from an existing general public high school. The initial graduating class of cadets referred to (and then named) the flag hall outside the auditorium " Daggett Domains" as a result of Col. Daggett's decision to display all state flags there. Chaplain Col. Daggett, who at that time was an Army Major in rank and a father of eight children, devoted himself to prayerfully securing community support, and ensuring that the new Military Academy remained for the community, by the community, and through the community.
Carver competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). Carver sport teams are nicknamed Challengers. Carver High School won the Illinois boys' state basketball championship in 1962–63.
- Priest Lauderdale - Retired Center for the Atlanta Hawks
- Jason Avant – current football player for the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs.
- Terry Cummings – Class of 1979, former DePaul star and NBA basketball player who played for 18 seasons, NBA Rookie of the Year (1983).
- Yolanda Griffith – former ABL and WNBA basketball player, WNBA MVP (1999).
- Tim Hardaway – Class of 1985, former basketball player who became an NBA All-Star five times during his career (1991–93, 1997, 1998).
- Marlbert Pradd - former pro basketball player, selected by Chicago Bulls in 1967 NBA Draft.
- Cazzie Russell – Class of 1962, former pro basketball player, #1 pick in the 1966 NBA Draft. and NBA All-Star (1972).
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "Chicago Public Schools: Carver Military Academy". Chicago Public Schools.
- "Chicago (Carver Military Academy)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 31 December 2009. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "Institution Summary for Carver Military Academy". AdvancED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "Carver facts". Chicago Sun-Times. April 22, 1992. 107.
- Michael Martinez. "Military focus OK'd for Carver High". Chicago Tribune. March 23, 2000. 9.
- "School Directory". Illinois High School Association.
- "BIO:PERSONAL". The Official Website Of Terry Cummings: BIO : PERSONAL.
- "Cazzie Russell welcomed back to his house". The Michigan Daily.