||This biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (January 2015)|
Cas Mudde (born 3 June 1967, Amsterdam) is a Dutch political scientist who focuses his studies on political extremism and populism in Europe. His research includes the areas of political parties, extremism, democracy, civil society and European politics.
From 1999 to 2002 he was Assistant Professor at the University of Edinburgh and from 2002 to 2010 he was Assistant and later Associate Professor at the University of Antwerp in Belgium. Since 2010, he has been teaching a first year seminar on the Radical Right movement in Europe at DePauw University. He is Associate Professor of Political Science at University of Georgia's School of Public and International Affairs.
He is the co-founder and convener of the ECPR (European Consortium for Political Research) Standing Group on Extremism & Democracy. He is a board member of the IPSA (International Political Science Association) Committee on Concepts and Methods and serves on the editorial boards of academic journals such as Acta Politica, Democracy and Security, Patterns of Prejudice, Politics in Central Europe, and The Journal of Politics.
Cas Mudde is an author of several books and articles. He is the younger brother of the prominent rightist Tim Mudde, In the preface to The Ideology of the Extreme Right, he thanks him for the respect they still have for each other despite "differences of opinion".
- "The Populist Radical Right: A Pathological Normalcy" West European Politics, Volume 33, Issue 6, 2010
- Populist Radical Right Parties in Europe (view Table of contents, Introduction, and Index, Cambridge University Press, 2007, ISBN 978-0-521-85081-0)
- The Ideology of the Extreme Right (Manchester University Press, 2003, ISBN 978-0-7190-6446-3)
- Racist Extremism in Central and Eastern Europe (editor, Routledge, 2005, ISBN 978-0-415-35594-0)
- Western Democracies and the New Extreme Right Challenge (co-editor, Routledge, 2004, ISBN 978-0-415-36971-8)
- "The Populist Zeitgeist", Government & Opposition, Vol.39, No.4, 2004
- "What's Left of the Radical Left? The European Radical Left after 1989: Decline and Mutation" Comparative European Politics, Vol.3, No.1, 2005 (with Luke March)
- "Political Extremism in Europe" European Political Science Vol.4, No.4, 2005) (with Sarah de Lange)
- Homepage at University of Antwerp
- Cas Mudde: The populist radical Right: A pathological normalcy (Eurozine, 31.8.2010)
- Interview with Cas Mudde (in Dutch)