Casanova (Luv' song)
|Single by Luv'|
|from the album Lots Of Luv'|
|Format||7" Vinyl Single|
|Label||Philips Records/Phonogram Records (Western countries)
|Writer(s)||Hans van Hemert and Piet Souer (a.k.a. Janschen & Janschens)|
|Producer(s)||Hans van Hemert|
|Luv' singles chronology|
"Casanova" is the sixth single by Dutch girl group Luv', released in the spring of 1979 by Philips Records. This song appears on the formation's second album, Lots Of Luv', and was a Top 10 single in a large part of Continental Europe, maintaining Luv's position as the best Dutch export act of 1979.
After the success of the hit singles "U.O.Me", "You're the Greatest Lover" and "Trojan Horse" as well as the album With Luv' in 1978, Philips/Phonogram Records released the new single, "Casanova", and a new LP Lots Of Luv' in April 1979. Casanova's lyrics deal with an unfaithful man who can't help seducing women. The song's arrangements were inspired by Flamenco, Latin American music and 1970s Europop, making it a smash hit in Benelux, the German speaking countries and Denmark. A Spanish version was recorded but it failed to enter the music charts in the Spanish speaking territories.
Track listing and release
7" Vinyl 
- a. "Casanova"
- b. "DJ"
|West Europe||1978||Philips/Phonogram Records||6012897|
|Japan||1978||Philips/Phonogram Records||SFL 2426|
- In 1979, the German female singer, Kirstin Lill, recorded a Schlager version in German entitled "Du bist ein Casanova".
- Pop/Disco artist, Mona Carita, sang the track (entitled "Voi Mikä Casanova!") in Finnish which was included on her 1979 eponymous album.
- Swiss cover band Claudius Alzner Und Seine Solisten covered the track for their compilation Cocktail International Vol. 17 in 1980.
- In 2009, Flemish singer, Lindsay, performed the song in Dutch for her album De Mooiste Dag.
|Belgium/Flanders (BRT Top 30/Radio 2 Top 30)||5|
|Denmark (BT Hitlisten)||3|
|Europarade (currently Eurochart Hot 100 Singles)||2|
|Germany (Musikmarkt/Media Control)||6|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||6|
|Netherlands (Nationale Hitparade (currently Single Top 100)||2|
- List of the Conamus Export Prize winners; Conamus (currently: Buma Cultuur) is an organisation which promotes Dutch music artists abroad. Every year, since 1972, this foundation has presented an Export Prize to reward the best selling Export acts from the Netherlands.
- List of the winners of Dutch pop music awards presented by Buma Cultuur in 1979
- Release details on Discogs.com Accessed: February 12, 2011
- Kirstin Lill on discogs.com Accessed: October 14, 2010
- Mona Carita 1979 album Accessed: August 30, 2010
- Claudius Alzner Und Seine Solisten/Cocktail International Vol. 17 Accessed: August 30, 2010
- Informations about Lindsay's cover of "Casanova" on Flemish Charts Website