|Census-designated place (CDP)|
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||3.9 sq mi (10.1 km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||703 and 571|
Cascades is a census-designated place (CDP) in Loudoun County, Virginia. The population as of the 2010 United States Census was 11,912. Along with nearby Countryside and Lowes Island, it is considered one of the three main components of the Potomac Falls community (ZIP code 20165) within Sterling, Virginia.
Cascades is a planned community of 2,500 acres with approximately 6,500 homes. The corresponding homeowners association was incorporated on 8 November 1990. Like nearby Sterling Park, prior to the establishment of the Cascades community in 1990 the area was made up of a few very large farms. The homeowners association maintains five community centers, five swimming pools, 15 tennis courts, and other amenities including extensive paved walking trails. The Lowes Island at Cascades community (commonly referred to as Lowes Island) is an advertised portion of the legal subdivision of Cascades, but is not a legal subdivision itself. The Lowes Island community is centered on Trump National Golf Club (Washington, DC), formerly Lowes Island Country Club. Cascades is bordered on the north by the Potomack Lake Sportsplex and Algonkian Regional Park (which abuts the Potomac River); the name Cascades alludes to the rapidly descending flow along the Potomac River in this area.
The commercial core of Cascades is Cascades Marketplace, a 318,000 square foot retail center adjacent to the Cascades Public Library and very near the Loudoun campus of Northern Virginia Community College. Great Falls Plaza is a second, smaller retail center located just outside Lowes Island. Area public schools include Potomac Falls High School, River Bend Middle School, Potowmack Elementary School, Horizon Elementary School, and Lowes Island Elementary School. The Cascades area encompasses the gated campus of the Falcons Landing retirement community for retired U.S. military officers. Cascades is served by Loudoun County Sheriff's Office, the Sterling Volunteer Fire Department, and the Potomac Falls post office.
Leaving Cascades along Cascades Parkway toward Virginia State Route 7.
Cascades Public Library as seen from Cascades Marketplace.
Trump National Golf Club (Washington, D.C.) in Lowes Island.
The entrance to Algonkian Regional Park from Cascades, Virginia.
The Potomac River at Algonkian Regional Park.
The Potomac River descends along the northern edge of the Cascades community until it reaches Great Falls Park.
- To the east, Sugarland Run and Great Falls
- To the west, Countryside
- To the south, across Route 7, Dulles Town Center and the remainder of Sterling (outside Cascades) including Sterling Park.
- Virginia Trend Report 2: State and Complete Places (Sub-state 2010 Census Data). Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed 2011-02-25.
- "Cascades Community Association". www.cascadesva.com. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Cascades Community Association". Facebook. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Home - Trump National Golf Club Washington DC". www.trumpnationaldc.com. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Potomack Lakes Sportsplex". www.loudoun.gov. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Loudoun VA Homes - Loudoun Times-Mirror Classifieds". www.loudountimes.com. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- "Cascades Marketplace Retail Center in the Sterling, VA Area | EDENS". edens.com. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Loudoun County Public Library > Locations & Hours > Cascades". library.loudoun.gov. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Loudoun Campus :: Northern Virginia Community College". www.nvcc.edu. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Sterling VA: Great Falls Plaza - Retail Space For Lease - KLNB Retail". klnbretail.propertycapsule.com. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- "Loudoun County Public Schools / Overview". www.loudoun.k12.va.us. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Military Retirement Community Washington DC | Falcons Landing". www.falconslanding.org. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Post Office in Sterling, VA - Potomac Falls Location". www.uspspostoffices.com. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cascades, Virginia.|