Casey Coleman (baseball)
Coleman with the Chicago Cubs
Kansas City Royals
July 3, 1987 |
Fort Myers, Florida
|August 2, 2010 for the Chicago Cubs|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||5.72|
Coleman was born in Fort Myers, Florida and graduated from Mariner High School in Cape Coral, Florida. He played college baseball at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) for the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles baseball team. At FGCU, Coleman was teammates with Chris Sale.
Coleman was drafted by the Cubs in the 15th round (461st overall) of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. He was called up to the majors for the first time on August 2, 2010. Coleman earned his first major league win on August 23, 2010 on a 9-1 victory against the Washington Nationals. He also recorded his first RBI in the same game.
In 2011, Coleman did not make the team out of Spring Training and was optioned to Triple-A Iowa. After injuries to starting pitchers Andrew Cashner and Randy Wells, he was recalled to Chicago and made his first start of the season on April 10 against the Milwaukee Brewers.
Both his father and grandfather were pitchers in the major leagues, making them the fourth family with three generations of major leaguers. His father Joe, played from 1965 to 1979, and his grandfather, also named Joe, played from 1942 to 1955. He is also the first third-generation pitcher in Major League history.
- "Casey Coleman Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- "Casey Coleman". Baseball-Reference.Com. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- Cubs to recall pitcher Casey Coleman
- Campbell, Jordan (2011-05-27). "Casey Coleman Optioned to Iowa". Cubbies Crib. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "MLB: Ex-FGCU pitcher Casey Coleman sent to minors by Royals". Naples Daily News. May 27, 2014. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- "Royals sign right-hander Pino, designate Coleman". ESPN.com. Associated Press. December 15, 2014. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- Polishuk, Mark (December 24, 2014). "Minor Moves: Mijares, Bowden, Runzler". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- Cubs call Coleman, Diamond up from Iowa
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Casey Coleman (baseball).|