|Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks – No. 43|
June 10, 1985 |
Elk Grove, California
Casey Weathers (born June 10, 1985) is a minor league baseball pitcher for the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball. He was drafted 8th overall in the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft by the Colorado Rockies. He played in college for the Vanderbilt Commodores.
Weathers attended Laguna Creek High School in Elk Grove, California, and then Sacramento City College where he played in the outfield. During one practice, Weathers claimed he could throw harder than teammate Adam Eisner. This ongoing banter led to Weathers lighting up the radar gun for fun. Despite his wanting to remain an outfielder, once he hit 94 MPH on the gun, he was eventually converted to a pitcher by the coaching staff. Weathers was also teammates with Stephen Bautista, Brian Smith, Shaun Stinson, and Diamondbacks pitcher David Hernandez on the semi-pro Elk Grove Leprechauns where he led the league in home runs.
After two years at Sacramento City College, Weathers transferred to Vanderbilt University. After his first year at Vanderbilt, Weathers participated in the Alaskan Summer League and was a late addition to the Team USA roster where he joined Corbin and teammates David Price and Pedro Alvarez. Weathers enjoyed a successful senior season at Vanderbilt where he led the team in saves and tied for the team lead in wins. He was named a First Team All American and a finalist for National Stopper of the Year.
Weathers was drafted by the Colorado Rockies with the 8th overall pick of the 2007 amateur draft and signed a contract on June 18, 2007, with a $1.8 million signing bonus.
San Francisco Giants
Weathers signed a minor league deal with the San Francisco Giants in December 2013. He was released in March 2014.
Tampa Bay Rays
On April 20, 2017, Weathers signed with the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball.
|Representing United States|
|World University Baseball Championship|
|2006 Havana||National team|
Awards and honors
- 2007 Baseball America First Team All American 
- 2007 Collegiate Baseball First Team All American 
- 2007 American Baseball Coaches Association First Team All American 
- 2007 National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Third Team All American
- 2007 First Team All SEC 
Weathers has two power offerings and durability, as evidenced by back-to-back outings over an early February 2007 weekend.
- MLB.com 2007 Draft Tracker
- Rocky Mountain News
- http://www.volunteertv.com/sports/headlines/Smokies_Opening_Day_roster_announced_145995495.html?ref=495 accessdate=4 April 2012
- BaseballAmerica.com: College: College All-America First Team
- All Americans Pre-Season 1999
- Price Named ABCA Player of Year :: Junior ace headlines group of five Commodores named to All-American Teams
- NCBWA > News > 2007 Pro-Line Athletic NCBWA All-America Team
- www.secsports.com – SEC Announces Annual Baseball Honors
- Draft Report for Casey Weathers