Map of Sorsogon with Casiguran highlighted
|Region||Bicol (Region V)|
|Legislative district||1st district of Sorsogon|
|Founded||October 7, 1600|
|• Mayor||Edwin Hamor|
|• Total||87.13 km2 (33.64 sq mi)|
|• Density||360/km2 (920/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Casiguran is a fourth class municipality in Sorsogon Province, Philippines, at the south of Luzon island. This town is on the coast of Sorsogon Bay, making it a suburb of neighboring Sorsogon City. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 30,995 people.
- Adovis (Pob.)
- Central (Pob.)
- San Antonio
- San Isidro
- San Juan
- San Pascual
- Sta. Cruz
- Somal-ot (Pob.)
- Timbayog (Pob.)
- Trece Martires
- Tulay (Pob.)
|This section does not cite any sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Established in the year 1600, Casiguran was the first missionary parish of Sorsogon. When the Spaniards first set foot in this part of Luzon in the 1570s, Casiguran was considered as their center of Kabikolan.
The name Casiguran is believed to come from the Bicol phrase kasi gurang, meaning, mostly old, pointing to the fact that it was the first parish and therefore to be considered to be populated by senior inhabitants.
It is also believed that the town was named Casiguran because, during the Spanish times, all the young men and ladies were kept hidden and only old people can be seen in the town. The reason of the townspeople for this is that the young people are being abused by the Spaniards, thus, kept them in hiding. One day, Americans set foot in the soil of the town and asked for its name. The people did not understand their language. Thinking that the Americans were asking why there are no young people, the people answered, "kasi gurang" (because only old people live there). The Americans thought that "Kasi gurang" was the name of the town. They left repeating the words "kasi gurang" as not to forget them, until it came to be called as "Casiguran."
|Population census of Casiguran|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Archived from the original on 25 January 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Province: Sorsogon". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Archived from the original on 14 November 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 November 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Province of Sorsogon". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
||Sorsogon Bay||Sorsogon City|