26 January 1802|
|Died||9 August 1852
Casimir Lefaucheux obtained his first patent in 1827. In 1832, he completed a drop-barrel sporting gun with paper-cased cartridges.
Casimir Lefaucheux is credited with the invention of one of the first efficient self-contained cartridge system in 1836, featuring a pin-fire mechanism. This followed the pioneering work of Jean Samuel Pauly in 1808-1812. The Lefaucheux cartridge had a conical bullet, a cardboard powder tube, and a copper base that incorporated a primer pellet. Lefaucheux thus proposed one of the first practical breech-loading weapons.
In 1846, the Lefaucheux system was improved upon by Benjamin Houllier, who introduced an entirely metallic cartridge of copper brass.
It is thought likely that the revolver with which Vincent van Gogh fatally shot himself in a field in 1890 was a 7mm Lefaucheux à broche; the pistol was found, extremely corroded, in about 1960 and is on display at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.
- Walter, John (25 March 2006). "Rifles of the World". Krause Publications – via Google Books.
- Kinard, Jeff (1 January 2004). "Pistols: An Illustrated History of Their Impact". ABC-CLIO – via Google Books.
- Machine Guns: An Illustrated History of Their Impact - Page 15 by James H. Willbanks 
- "The whole truth about Van Gogh's ear, and why his 'mad genius' is a myth". The Guardian. 12 July 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Van Goghs ziekte, oor en zelfmoord voor het eerst uitvoerig belicht" [Van Gogh's illness, ear and suicide extensively discussed for the first time]. Van Gogh Museum (in Dutch). 12 July 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- France-Presse, Agence (30 November 2016). "Gun that almost killed Arthur Rimbaud sells for €435,000 at Paris auction" – via The Guardian.
- "L'arme avec laquelle Verlaine a tiré sur Rimbaud vendue aux enchères 435 000 euros". 30 November 2016 – via Le Monde.
- Henrotin, Gerard Lefaucheux 7mm pinfire revolver explained, HLebooks.com, 2013
- Henrotin, Gerard European percussion & pinfire shotguns explained, HLebooks.com, 2011