Casimir William of Hesse-Homburg
|Casimir William of Hesse-Homburg|
23 March 1690|
|Died||9 October 1726
|Noble family||House of Hesse|
|Spouse(s)||Christine Charlotte of Solms-Braunfels|
|Father||Frederick II, Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg|
|Mother||Louise Elisabeth of Courland|
Casimir William was the youngest son of Landgrave Frederick II of Hesse-Homburg (1633–1708), the famous Prince of Homburg, from his second marriage with Louise Elisabeth (1646–1690), the daughter of the Duke Jacob of Courland. He was educated together with his three years younger half-brother George Louis (from Frederick II's his third marriage with Countess Sophie Sybille of Leiningen-Westerburg (1656–1724). During a visit to his cousin Duke Frederick William of Mecklenburg-Schwerin the passion for hunting, which he shared with his father and his brothers, woke up in him.
Since his older brother Frederick III and his two sons preceded him in the line of succession, he opted for a military career and fought in 1708 in a Mecklenburg regiment under Prince Eugene of Savoy. In early 1715, he entered the Swedish army under Charles XII. Already in the early summer he was taken prisoner at Wismar and retired from the military.
His legacy is his hunting diary, which describes his passion for hunting and horses.
Marriage and issue
- Frederick IV Charles (1724–1751), ruling Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg
- married in 1746 Countess Ulrike Louise of Solms-Braunfels (1731-1792)
- Eugene (1725-1725)
- Ulrike Sophie (1726–1792)
- Wilhelm Hammann: Das Leben des Landgrafen Kasimir Wilhelm von Hessen-Homburg 1690 bis 1726, in: Jahresbericht des Grossherzoglichen Ludwig-Georgs-Gymnasiums, 1907
- Philipp Dieffenbach: Geschichte von Hessen mit besonderer Berücksichtigung des Grohßerzogthums, p. 232
- Jürgen Rainer Wolf: Landgraf Kasimir Wilhelm von Hessen-Homburg und seine vergessene Hofhaltung im Herzogtum Magdeburg, in: Aus dem Stadtarchiv. Vorträge zur Bad Hombuger Geschichte 1995/1996, Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, 1997, p. 7–27
- E. G. Steinmetz: Aus dem Jagdtagebuch des Landgrafen Kasimir Wilhelm von Homburg, in: Mitteilungen des Vereins für Geschichte und Landeskunde zu Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, 1936