|Birth name||Cassandra Louise O'Neal|
|Also known as||Cassy|
|Born||January 17, 1973|
|Origin||Copiague, New York|
|Genres||Gospel, pop, funk|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, musician, keyboardist, music producer, composer|
|Associated acts||Sy Smith, Prince, The New Power Generation|
Cassandra O'Neal (born Cassandra Louise O'Neal on January 17, 1973) is an American musician, composer, and producer.
O'Neal is the youngest child born to the late Rev. Ernest A. O'Neal and Janet Pricilla O'Neal in Copiague, New York. O'Neal showed her musical potential at a young age, playing the piano by ear and with perfect pitch, beginning at the age of 3. Throughout her adolescent years, she nurtured her gift with formal classical piano training, playing in the church and by listening to all types of music, including new wave, rock, gospel and pop. During her junior and senior high school years she accompanied school choruses and ensembles.
In 1991, Cassandra moved to Los Angeles, California. Shortly after, she received her break into the music industry while touring gospel singer, Daryl Coley. O'Neal then became a staff musician at the West Angeles Church of God in Christ under the leadership of Bishop Charles E. Blake. She later released a gospel instructional DVD entitled "Wheatworks Productions Presents…West Coast Piano: The Ultimate Gospel Piano Master Class Featuring Cassandra O'Neal". O'Neal worked on the soundtrack of the 1997 Comedy Film, The 6th Man, adding keyboards and vocals to the song, "Deeper Than Blood" performed by Sovory, which charted at #33 on the Billboard Top R&B/HipHop Albums chart.
O'Neal has since gone on to work with many of R&B, Pop and Gospel music’s biggest acts, including Pink and her Party Tour in 2002. She has worked with 98 Degrees, Kurt Carr & the Kurt Carr Singers, Helen Baylor, Avant, and Chanté Moore. In 2005, she toured with Yolanda Adams, Martha Munizzi, and Sheila E. on Sisters In The Spirit Tour. She was also named Musical Director for Macy Gray in 2004 until 2007. In 2006, O'Neal joined Sy Smith as her keyboardist/supporting vocalist in Smith's band "Deeznuts". O'Neal also played keyboards on the Dreamgirls: Music From The Motion Picture Deluxe Edition Soundtrack.
In 2008, she joined Mary J. Blige and Jay-Z on the Heart of the City Tour. Adding to her credit, O'Neal has played keyboards on various recordings such as LeAnn Rimes' What a Wonderful World, So Amazing: An All-Star Tribute to Luther Vandross, BabyFace's Grown & Sexy, and Mindi Abair's In Hi-Fi Stereo. O'Neal has also performed on various television shows such as The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards, and the 36th NAACP Image Awards. O'Neal was also co-writer of several songs on Macy Gray’s comeback album, BIG.
O'Neal joined Prince in his highly acclaimed band, The New Power Generation, alongside longtime members Morris Hayes on keyboards and John Blackwell on drums. O'Neal’s first performances as a member of the NPG were at the Grand Palais and La Cigale concerts in France back in October 2009.
She has since appeared on Prince's 20Ten Tour, Welcome 2 America with a line-up of special guests such as Larry Graham, Maceo Parker, Chaka Kahn, Raphael Saadiq, Janelle Monáe, Nikka Costa, and Paloma Faith. Tour, the 2011 Montreal Jazz Festival Special Performance, and the recent Welcome 2 America Euro 2011 Tour that introduced the first NPG Music & Arts Festival,
- West Coast Piano Instructional DVD
- "Ultimate Gospel Piano Master Class Featuring Cassandra O'Neal DVD Available for Purchase".
- "E Family CD Release". Street Pressure. September 2011.
- "Renowned Musician-Keyboardist, Cassandra O'Neal, is Happy to ‘Rain’ in more than ‘Purple’ Tunes for Prince and The New Power Generation". Studio City Patch. May 2011.
- "Renowned Musician-Keyboardist, Cassandra O'Neal, is Happy to ‘Rain’ in more than ‘Purple’ Tunes for Prince and The New Power Generation". Dinby.dk. August 2011.
- Steve Fortner (February 2011). "Cassandra O'Neal of NPG". Keyboard Magazine.
- Cyrus Webb (October 2011). "Musician Cassandra O'Neal: More Than Hollywood". Conversations Magazine.
- Judy Monroe (December 2010). "Cassandra O'Neal: A Woman On A Mission". American Chronicle.
- Aaron Sanchez (June 2011). "Live with Cassandra O'Neal". The Pulse.
- "Cassandra O'Neal on Reach Around Radio". Reach Around Radio. August 2011.[dead link]
- Devin Grant (March 2011). "REVIEW: The Purple One reigns supreme at North Charleston Coliseum". The Post & Courier.
- Richard Tafoya (April 2011). "Concert: Prince in Los Angeles". Sound Spike.
- "Prince’s genius in full form at Montreal show". Globe and Mail. June 2011.
- Sarah Karp Ward (June 2011). "Call Your Boss Tell Em You Aint Coming To Work Til Tuesday I Have That Many Hits". What's Really Good Magazine.
- Slystoned (June 2011). "Prince & NPG Canal+ "Le Grand Journal" TV Show Performance". Funk U Magazine.
- Belga (July 2011). "14,000 Prince & NPG fans enjoy on St. Peter's Square". Gent News.
- Derren Nugent (July 2011). "Cassandra O'Neal on keys at Hop Farm Festival". Safeconcerts.
- Brian Power (July 2011). "Cassandra O'Neal shares her views on Prince & NPG Rockhal Concert, Shopping, & the People of Luxembourg!". 352Lux Magazine.
- "Cassandra O'Neal talks candid about her time visiting Finland, her career start in the Church, & working with major artists!". Radio Aalto. July 2011.
- John Mankkinen (July 2011). "Cassandra O'Neal says "Prince is a funny guy"!". YLE/ Source: BBC News.
- Leila Ossola (July 2011). ""Magical Night" with Prince & his group of Talented Musicians". Blog do Ale' Italia.
- Valentina Esposito (July 2011). "Prince to Umbria Jazz". Musica Blog Live.
- Charles Vantaggioli (July 2011). "Prince at Umbria Jazz". Tuttogi.info.
- Sean Michaels (July 2011). "Prince & NPG to play Host to "Real Music played by Real Musicians"". The Guardian. UK.
- Siri Holm (July 2011). "NPG Pre-Festival Jam Party". Gaffa Magazine.
- "NPG Music & Arts Festival". August 2011.
- Andreas Beck (August 2011). "NPG Arts & Music Festival". AOK.dk.
- "Cassandra O'Neal Motif Artist". Yamaha Synth.[dead link]