Winston in 2016
|No. 5 – Michigan State Spartans|
|League||Big Ten Conference|
|Born||February 28, 1998|
|Listed height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Listed weight||185 lb (84 kg)|
|High school||University of Detroit Jesuit|
|College||Michigan State (2016–present)|
|Career highlights and awards|
High school career
Winston, a 6'1 point guard, was a star prep player at University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy in Detroit. As a senior in 2016, he was named Mr. Basketball of Michigan.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||Commit date|
|Detroit, MI||University of Detroit Jesuit (MI)||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)||179 lb (81 kg)||Sep 18, 2015|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: N/A Rivals: 247Sports: ESPN: ESPN grade: 89|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Rivals: 29 247Sports: 31 ESPN: 31|
He chose to attend college at Michigan State, and in his freshman season averaged 6.7 points and 5.2 assists per game in 35 games. As a sophomore, he became a full-time starter, averaging 12.6 points and 6.9 assists per game for the Spartans, and earning third-team All-Big Ten Conference honors.
Entering into Winston's junior season, he was selected to the preseason All-Big Ten team. After a strong start to the year, he was named to the midseason watch list for the John R. Wooden Award.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- McCabe, Mick (March 21, 2016). "Cassius Winston named Michigan's Mr. Basketball". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- O’Donnell, Ricky (September 18, 2015). "4-star PG Cassius Winston commits to Michigan State, puts Tom Izzo on brink of his best recruiting class ever". SBNation.com. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- Solari, Chris (June 13, 2017). "MSU's Cassius Winston plans summer packed with court time". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- Austin, Kyle (January 18, 2019). "Michigan State's Cassius Winston's recent play could make him a Big Ten Player of the Year contender". NCAA.com. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- Austin, Kyle (October 10, 2018). "Preseason writers poll predicts Big 10 conference win for MSU, second for Michigan". MLive. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- Sullivan, Crowley (January 10, 2019). "Wooden Award Midseason Top 25 - Is Cassius Properly Positioned?". USA Today. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
- Charboneau, Matt (March 11, 2019). "Michigan State's Cassius Winston named Big Ten Player of Year; Tillman top sixth man". The Detroit News. Retrieved April 1, 2019.