|Pronunciation||Spanish pronunciation: [kasta'ɲeða]|
|Region of origin||Spain, Portugal|
The name's meaning is habitational, from any of various places in Santander, Asturias, and Salamanca, derived from castañeda, a collective of castaña "chestnut". The name is believed to be created by the fact that the bourgeois House of Castañeda was situated in a valley of chestnuts, thus meaning "Castle of the Chestnuts."
In non-Hispanic countries, the name is usually spelled Castaneda (without the tilde). In Portuguese, this name is spelled Castanheda.
The surname can be found primarily in Spain, Portugal and the Americas after the Spanish conquest of North and South America.
People with the surname
- Cacho Castaneda (born 1942 as Humberto Vicente Castagna), Argentine singer and actor
- Carlos Castaneda (1925–1998), American author on Mesoamerican shamanism
- Carlos Castañeda (historian) (1897-1958), historian
- Cristián Castañeda (born 1968), Chilean football player
- Germán Villa Castañeda (contemporary), Mexican football player
- Guadalupe Castañeda, retired Mexican footballer
- Hector-Neri Castañeda (1924–1991), Guatemalan philosopher and author
- Javier Castañeda, former Spanish footballer
- Jorge Castañeda (disambiguation), multiple people with the name
- Jorge Ubico y Castañeda (1878–1946), President of Guatemala 1931–1944
- Juan Castañeda (born 1980), Spanish championship fencer
- Justiniano Borgoño Castañeda (1836–1921), Peruvian soldier and politician, President of Peru briefly in 1894
- Luis Castañeda Lossio (contemporary), Peruvian politician, mayor of Lima
- Maureen Castaneda (contemporary), American businesswoman, former officer of Enron Corporation
- Movita Castaneda (born 1917), American actress, second wife of Marlon Brando
- Oliverio Castañeda (1955–1978), Guatemalan student civil-rights activist; assassinated
- Patricia Castañeda (born 1976), Colombian actress and writer
- Raúl Castañeda, Mexican boxer
- Salvador Castaneda Castro (1888–1965), Salvadoran politician, President of El Salvador, 1945–1948
- Juan De Dios Castaneda (1965), American Process Engineer, Process Engineer at BYK Additives Inc.
- Johnny Castañeda is handsome