This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Los Angeles County, California|
|Primary inflows||West Branch California Aqueduct|
|Primary outflows||Castaic Creek|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Water volume||320,000 acre⋅ft (390,000,000 m3)|
|Surface elevation||1,500 feet (460 m)|
The California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment has issued a safe advisory for any fish caught in Castaic Lake and Castaic Lagoon due to elevated levels of mercury and PCBs.
The 320,000 acre⋅ft (390,000,000 m3) lake, with a surface elevation of approximately 1,500 feet (460 m) above sea level, is the terminus of the West Branch California Aqueduct, though some comes from the 154-square-mile (400 km2) Castaic Creek watershed above the dam. Castaic Lake is bisected by the Elderberry Forebay Dam, which creates the adjacent Elderberry Forebay. The aqueduct water comes from Pyramid Lake through the Angeles Tunnel and is used to power Castaic Power Plant, a pumped-storage hydroelectric facility on the northern end of the forebay. Water is mostly powering the turbines, rather than being pumped by them.
Water from the lake is distributed throughout the northern portion of the Greater Los Angeles Area. Some water is released into Castaic Lagoon below the dam, to maintain its water level for recreation. Castic Lagoon drains into Castaic Creek, which flows south until it meets the Santa Clara River, a few miles west of Santa Clarita.
Castaic Lake has a lower lagoon with a swim beach that is open from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend annually. This lake also offers bass fishing in the upper and lower lake year-round and float tube fishing in the lower lake.
In popular culture
Castaic Lake was one of the main filming locations for the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series. Many of the action scenes were recorded here.
- List of dams and reservoirs in California
- List of lakes in California
- List of largest reservoirs of California
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Castaic Lake
- "Castaic Lake". OEHHA. 2017-01-20. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Castaic Lagoon". OEHHA. 2017-01-20. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- Historic Pump-Storage Operation in WSCC, page 14
- Glazer, Mikey. "11 'Amazing Race' Starting Line Secrets Revealed (Exclusive Video)". TheWrap. The Wrap News Inc.
- "Dams Within the Jurisdiction of the State of California (A-G)" (PDF). California Department of Water Resources, Division of Safety of Dams. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-09. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Castaic Lake.|