Castaways and Cutouts
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Castaways and Cutouts|
|Studio album by The Decemberists|
|Released||May 21, 2002|
|Recorded||January – February 2002|
|Genre||Indie rock, indie folk|
|The Decemberists chronology|
Castaways and Cutouts is the first full-length album by The Decemberists, originally released on May 21, 2002, on Hush Records and reissued on May 6, 2003, on Kill Rock Stars. The album's title is taken from a lyric of the song "California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade".
The album cover was designed by the Portland artist Carson Ellis, the long-time girlfriend (and now wife) of Colin Meloy. She has created artwork for each of the band's albums. This is the band's only full-length release with Ezra Holbrook on drums. (He played drums on the 5 Songs EP and performed backing vocals on The Crane Wife.)
Castaways and Cutouts received mostly positive reviews. The album ranked #89 on Under the Radar's Top 200 Albums of the 2000s and #96 on Pitchfork Media's The 100 Best Albums of 2000-2004. It also ranked #79 on JustPressPlay's Top 100 albums of the 2000s.
All songs written by Colin Meloy.
|1.||"Leslie Anne Levine"||4:13|
|2.||"Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect"||4:29|
|4.||"A Cautionary Song"||3:09|
|7.||"Grace Cathedral Hill"||4:29|
|8.||"The Legionnaire's Lament"||4:45|
|10.||"California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade"||9:51|
According to the liner notes of Castaways and Cutouts.
- Colin Meloy - vocals, guitar, percussion
- Chris Funk - guitar, pedal steel, theremin
- Jenny Conlee - hammond organ, piano, rhodes piano, accordion
- Nate Query - upright bass
- Ezra Holbrook - drums, percussion, vocals
- Produced by The Decemberists
- Recorded by Simon Widdowson
- Mastered by Ryan Foster
- Design by Third Eyebrow (.com)
- Art direction by Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis
- Cover painting and illustrations by Carson Ellis
- Inner-tray photo by Jonathan Gitelson
- Sound clip in "California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade" from Archangel, directed by Guy Maddin.
- Cramer, Stephen. "The Decemberists:Castaways and Cutouts". Allmusic.
- Carr, Eric (March 25, 2003). "The Decemberists: Castaways and Cutouts". Pitchfork Media.
- "The Decemberists: Castaways and Cutouts". Sputnik Music.
- newmusicexcess (8 January 2010). "Under The Radar: Best Of The Decade – Top 200 Albums of the Decade". New Music Excess. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- Ubl, Sam (7 February 2005). "Staff Lists: The Top 100 Albums of 2000-04". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- Medlock, Matt (14 January 2010). "Fifty Years of Great Music: The Top 100 Albums of the 2000s". JustPressPlay. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
|This 2000s indie pop album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|