Castellina in Chianti
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Castellina in Chianti
|Comune di Castellina in Chianti|
|Frazioni||Grignano, Fonterutoli, Lilliano, Piazza, Rencine, San Leonino, San Quirico, Sant'Agnese|
|• Mayor||Marcello Bonechi|
|• Total||99.8 km2 (38.5 sq mi)|
|Elevation||578 m (1,896 ft)|
|• Density||29/km2 (74/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Faustus|
|Saint day||September 18|
Castellina in Chianti is a comune (municipality) of c. 2,800 inhabitants in the province of Siena, in the Italian region Tuscany, located about 35 kilometres (22 mi) south of Florence and about 15 kilometres (9 mi) northwest of Siena. It is part of the Chianti Hills, between the valleys of the Arbia, Pesa and Elsa rivers.
The territory of Castellina in Chianti borders the following municipalities: Barberino Val d'Elsa, Castelnuovo Berardenga, Greve in Chianti, Monteriggioni, Poggibonsi, Radda in Chianti, Tavarnelle Val di Pesa.
In the early Middle Ages the town was known as Salingolpe; in the 11th century Matilda of Tuscany gave it as fief to the counts Guidi and, subsequently, to the Trebbio. In the early 15th century it became a stronghold, of which today the Rocca remain.
- The massive Rocca (castle), with a huge 14th-century tower. It houses a small Etruscan museum.
- Church of San Salvatore, with an early 15th-century fresco of Madonna with Child and a polychrome wooden statue of Christ from the same age.
- Palazzo Ugolini-Squarcialupi.
- Palazzo Bianciardi.
- The Via delle Volte underground tunnel.
- Montecalvario Mound, outside the town. It consists of four 7th-6th century BC tombs.
- Poggino necropolis, also in the neighbourhood.
- Romanesque church of San Martino, at Cispiano
- Church of San Giorgio alla Piazza, housing a 15th panel from Cosimo Rosselli's workshop.
- Pieve of Sant'Agnese, with a Madonna with Child by Bicci di Lorenzo.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Castellina in Chianti.|
|This Tuscany location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|