Castle Hotel, Taunton
Location within Somerset
|Town or city||Taunton|
The Castle Hotel at Taunton is a hotel with two restaurants, Castle Bow Restaurant and BRAZZ, located in the centre of Taunton, Somerset, England. The business is located in a Grade II listed 18th-century reconstruction of the former 12th-century Norman fortress, Taunton Castle.
The main building today, which was at one time known as Clarke's Hotel, was built in the late 18th century, and is Grade II listed. The building was then added in the 20th century, with a top floor addition.
The building incorporates Castle Bow a Grade I listed building which originally formed the east gate to the Castle precincts. It still has 13th century chamfered arches, and corner buttresses with setoffs.
Hotel and restaurant
The Chapman family have been running the hotel for more than 60 years. Catering is available in the hotel's signature restaurant, Castle Bow Restaurant and in BRAZZ brasserie. Head Chefs have included Christopher Oakes, Gary Rhodes, Phil Vickery. and Richard Guest. While Christopher Oakes was head chef the restaurant gained a Michelin star, but this was lost in 2008. The current head chef is Liam Finnegan.
- "Castle Hotel". Images of England. English Heritage. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- "Castle Bow". Images of England. English Heritage. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
- Wells, John (27 March 1994). "EATING OUT / Fortress of new English food: The Castle Hotel, Taunton, Somerset". The Independent. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "Morning Coffee with Richard Guest". Somerset Food. Retrieved 28 May 2010.
- "The Castle Hotel, Taunton is put to the test by The Inspector". Mail Online. 29 July 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-06.