Castle House School
|Type||Independent preparatory school|
|Chairman of Governors||Carol Gibbs|
|DfE URN||123611 Tables|
|Students||122 (in 2014)|
|Former pupils||Old Castilians|
|Website||Castle House School web site|
The school is owned and operated by the Castle House School Trust Ltd, a registered charitable organization, by up to twelve governors of the Trust. It occupies a Grade II listed main building with extensive grounds. Its "Cherubs Nursery" takes pre-school children aged from two to four. From here boys and girls, in roughly equal numbers, go into the Lower School, which comprises a Reception class and Years 1 and 2. The Upper School then caters for children until they leave, usually at the age of eleven.
After leaving Castle House, children typically go on to Adams' Grammar School, Newport High School, Burton Borough School, or Stafford Grammar School, with others moving to Wrekin College, Ellesmere College, Shrewsbury High School, Wolverhampton Girls' High School, Wolverhampton Grammar School, Adcote School, and others.
A new headteacher, Ian Sterling, took over the school in January 2018. The previous head, Richard Walden, was chairman in 2014 of the Independent Schools Association. Opening its annual conference in May 2014, he was critical of the state sector, claiming that "Schools are turning out too many amoral children because teachers cannot find the time to teach the difference between right and wrong." This was quickly disputed by the government's Education Secretary, Michael Gove.
Notable Old Castilians
- Jeremy Corbyn (born 1949), politician, leader of the Labour Party
- Piers Corbyn (born 1947), meteorologist
- Mr Crewe-Read speaks at speech day at castlehouseschool.co.uk, accessed 13 September 2015
- ISI Inspection report on Castle House School dated November 2014, accessed 13 September 2015
- Castle House School at collegeofteachers.ac.uk, accessed 13 September 2015
- Cherubs Nursery at daynurseries.co.uk, accessed 13 September 2015
- The Independent Schools Guide 2012-2013 (Gabbitas, 2013), p. 150
- Senior Schools: After Castle House – what next? at castlehouseschool.co.uk
- Schools turning out amoral students, says Shropshire headteacher dated 15 May 2014 at shropshirestar.com
- Michael Gove rejects ‘amoral’ pupils claim by Shropshire head dated 18 May 2014 at shropshirestar.com
- Andrew Roth, Jeremy (Bernard) Corbyn (parliamentary profile at bishopsgate.org.uk), p. 10, accessed 13 September 2015