Castle of Púbol
The Castle of Púbol (or Gala Dalí Castle, in Catalan Castell de Púbol or Castell Gala Dalí) is located in Púbol, in the comarca of Baix Empordà, Girona, Catalonia. It was the home to surrealist painter Salvador Dalí and his wife Gala (but not at the same time). Gala is buried at the castle.
After Gala's death in 1982, Dalí moved into the Castle for the first time. In 1984, a fire broke out in his bedroom under unclear circumstances. It was possibly a suicide attempt by Dalí, or possibly simple negligence by his staff. Dalí was rescued by friend and collaborator Robert Descharnes and returned to Figueres, where a group of his friends, patrons, and fellow artists saw to it that he was comfortable living in his Theater-Museum for his final years.
In 1996, Gala's private castle in Púbol was opened to the public as the Gala-Dalí Castle House Museum.
- Dalí Theatre and Museum — Museum of Dalí in his home town of Figueres, Catalonia, Spain
- Salvador Dalí Museum - in St Petersburg, Florida, United States
- Dalí Universe - in London, England
- Espace Dalí - in Paris, France
- "Gala Biography". Gala-Salvador Dalí Foundation. Gala-Salvador Dalí Foundation. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Dalí Resting at Castle After Injury in Fire". The New York Times. September 1, 1984. Retrieved July 22, 2006.
- Salvador Dalí: Olga's Gallery. Retrieved on July 22, 2006.
- Décès de Robert Descharnes, l'homme qui avait sauvé Salvador Dalí (French)
|This article about a castle in Spain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a museum in Spain or its islands is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|