Castlebrae Community High School
|Depute Headteachers||Vincent Spicer, Tony O'Doherty|
|Location||2a Greendykes Road
|Website||Castlebrae Community High School|
Headteacher and SMT
The Head Teacher is Norma Prentice and the Depute Head Teachers are Vincent Spicer and Tony O'Doherty. In June 2014 the previous head teacher Derek Curran was suspended while allegations against him were investigated. Norma Prentice took over for 2014-15 as Curran's investigation continued. In 2015 it was confirmed that Prentice would continue permanently and that Curran had been dismissed.
The school's intake is made up mostly by pupils coming from Castleview and Niddrie Mill Primary Schools.
Castlebrae's pupils are split into three house groups. These are:
These are named after the hills that surround Edinburgh.
In September 2012 it was announced that Edinburgh Council proposed to close the school in June 2013 because of falling rolls and poor exam results. A group of local parents and pupils contested the closure. In February 2013 a report recommended closure, with a new school to be built in the next 10 years as the area regenerates and demand builds. In March the council voted to give the school a "reprieve". It has among the highest truancy and exclusion rates in Scotland.
- "A school hoping for serious gains from clowning around - News - TES". Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Castlebrae head suspended after allegation by pupil". The Scotsman. 4 June 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Sex accused teacher faces domestic abuse claims - Edinburgh Evening News". The Scotsman. 18 July 2014. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Castlebrae head teacher Derek Curran sacked following investigation". STV. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "City education officials school is failing pupils and should be closed down - Education - Scotsman.com". The Scotsman. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "Future of Castlebrae Community High School to be discussed - News centre - City of Edinburgh Council". Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "BBC News - Campaigners fight Castlebrae High closure". BBC Online. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- "BBC News - Castlebrae Community High School closure recommended by report". BBC Online. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- "BBC News - Castlebrae Community High: Councillors vote not to close school". BBC Online. 14 March 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2013.