Castleford bus station
|Location||Albion Street, Castleford
City of Wakefield
|Bus operators||Arriva Yorkshire|
|Connections||Castleford railway station (110 yards [100 m])|
|Opened||May 1963, Reopened 2015.|
The bus station is situated in Castleford Town Centre off Albion Street and is approximately 110 yards (100 m) away from the town's railway station.
The rebuilt station has 8 stands in a drive-in-reverse out format while the original station had 15 stands on four islands at the bus station.
The main operator is Arriva Yorkshire.
The bus station had become rather outdated and had not seen the investment that others in West Yorkshire had, its replacement was a pending issue for the town for some time. Building works was due to begin in 2010 on a brand new bus/rail interchange situated at Castleford's rail station, however replacement was delayed. however the project was delayed and Metro and Wakefield Council are seeking funding from the Government for the work.
In 2013, Metro and Wakefield Council drew up plans for a replacement of the previous bus station. It was proposed that the bus station would have an enclosed waiting area, CCTV, a retail outlet and public toilets. Bus operators, disabled people’s groups and ward councillors and the public were consulted prior to construction.
In mid-2014, the bus station closed for refurbishment. Works necessitated the installation of temporary bus stops on Albion Street and Enterprise Way. The new bus station was opened in 2015.
The new bus station has all passenger facilities fully indoors rather than the previous outdoor shelters. This brings Castleford bus station up to the standards of neighbouring Pontefract and Wakefield bus stations.
- http://www.visitoruk.com/timeline.php?id=1392&f=Castleford Timeline History of Castleford 1901-2000
- Castleford Bus and Rail Interchange - Wakefield.gov.uk
- . "Metro - News stories - Growth fund bid for Castleford Transport". Metro. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Castleford Bus Station Proposals - Metro - February 2013
- "Castleford Bus Station redevelopment". METRO. 3 June 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- "Metro - Bus stations - Castleford Bus Station". Metro. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Castleford bus station.|