|Born||1963 (age 56–57)|
Bryan, Texas, United States
|Genre||Science fiction, fantasy|
Cat Rambo (born 14 November 1963) is an American science fiction and fantasy writer and editor. She was co-editor of Fantasy Magazine from 2007 to 2011, which earned her a 2012 World Fantasy Special Award: Non-Professional nomination. She collaborated with Jeff VanderMeer on The Surgeon's Tale and Other Stories, published in 2007.
Her short stories have appeared in such places as Asimov's, Clarkesworld Magazine and Tor.com. In 2012, her story "Five Ways to Fall in Love on Planet Porcelain" was a Nebula Award finalist. Her first novel, Beasts of Tabat, was published by Wordfire Press in 2015 and is the first of a fantasy quartet.
Rambo writes predominantly fantasy and science fiction. She collaborated in a New Weird round-robin writing project for editors by Ann VanderMeer and Jeff VanderMeer, published in the 2008 anthology The New Weird ("Festival Lives", pp. 365).
A graduate of the Johns Hopkins Writing Seminars and Clarion West, she also works with Armageddon MUD, as Sanvean, and writes gaming articles. Her background in technology writing includes work for Microsoft and Security Dynamics. She is a member of the Codex Writers Group and, in 2008, was appointed chair of the Copyright Committee of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA).
She is the co-editor with Fran Wilde of Ad Astra: the SFWA 50th Anniversary Cookbook (2015).
- Rambo, Cat & Jeff VanderMeer (2007). The surgeon's tale and other stories. Prime.
- "The Bumblety's Marble" (2008) in Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy (ed. Ekaterina Sedia)
- Eyes Like Sky and Coal and Moonlight (August 1, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9795349-5-9)
- Rambo, Cat (2012). Near + Far. Seattle: Hydra House. ISBN 978-0-9848301-4-5.
- "A Man and His Parasite" (2013) in SQ Mag, Edition 8 (ed. Sophie Yorkston)
- Rambo, Cat (March 2014). "All the pretty little mermaids". Asimov's Science Fiction. 38 (3): 66–70.
- — (April 2014). "Bud Webster". In Conversation. Analog Science Fiction and Fact. 134 (4): 44–45.
- Rambo, Cat (2015). Beasts Of Tabat. Colorado Springs: WordFire Press. ISBN 9781614752974.
- Rambo, Cat (2018). Hearts Of Tabat. Colorado Springs: WordFire Press. ISBN 9781614756378.
- Payne, Marshall (July 1, 2008). "An Interview with Cat Rambo". The Fix. TTA Press (ttapress.com). Archived 2010-05-25. Retrieved 2015-07-18.
- Strock, Ian Randal (July 8, 2008). "SFWA appoints three new coordinators". SFScope.com. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
Cat Rambo has been appointed chairman of the SFWA Copyright Committee. Rambo, a member since 2005, is the co-editor of Fantasy Magazine, and has worked in the fields of network security and technology writing, as well as teaching. She has worked with both the Copyright Exploratory Committee and the Copyright Committee, as well as written copy for the Nebula web site.
- Ionescu, Iulian (December 1, 2014). "Interview with Author and Editor Cat Rambo". Fantasy Scroll Magazine (fantasyscrollmag.com). Retrieved 2014-12-01.
- The New Weird (first edition, 2008) publication contents at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database. Retrieved 2015-07-18.
- Pflug, Ursula (July 2008). "The New Weird, A Review of the Anthology". The Internet Review of Science Fiction (irosf.com). Archived from the original on 2015-07-07. Retrieved 2015-07-04.
- Rambo, Cat (January 2000). "I Think, Therefore I Roleplay". Imaginary Realities. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "Cat Rambo Papers | Northern Illinois University". Archon (archon.lib.niu.edu). Retrieved 2015-07-04.
- "2015 SFWA Election Results". SFWA. Retrieved 2015-07-04.
- "SFWA Cookbook Available For Pre-Order". SFWA. Retrieved 2015-07-04.
- Official website
- Fantasy Magazine
- Worm Within (short story), Clarkesworld Magazine, September 2008
- The Surgeon's Tale (short story with Jeff VanderMeer), Subterranean Magazine, Winter 2007
- I'll Gnaw Your Bones, the Manticore Said (short story), Clarkesworld, July 2007
- Foam on the Water (short story), Strange Horizons, February 2007
- Cat Rambo at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Cat Rambo at Library of Congress Authorities, with 1 catalog records