||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (April 2016)|
A cat café is a theme café whose attraction is cats that can be watched and played with. Patrons pay a cover fee, generally hourly, and thus cat cafés can be seen as a form of supervised indoor pet rental.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 History
- 3 Asia
- 4 Europe
- 5 North America
- 6 Oceania
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The world's first cat café, "Cat Flower Garden" (貓花園), opened its doors in Taipei, Taiwan, in 1998. The Taiwanese cat café eventually became a tourist destination, attracting tourists from Japan as well as all over the globe. Though the origin of cat café is in Taiwan, the concept blossomed in Japan, where the first one named "Neko no Jikan" (lit. "Cat's Time") was opened in Osaka in 2004. Due to the Japan's land size and population, many residents live in small apartments or condominiums which do not allow pets, making a cat café a very popular destination for young workers looking for the companionship and comfort offered. Tokyo's first cat café, named "Neko no mise" (Shop of Cats), opened in 2005. After this, the popularity of cat cafés boomed in Japan. From 2005 to 2010, seventy-nine cat cafés opened across the country.
Cat cafés are quite popular in Japan, with Tokyo being home to 58 cat cafés as of 2015. The first was Cat's Store (猫の店 Neko no Mise?), by Norimasa Hanada, which opened in 2005. The popularity of cat cafés in Japan is attributed to many apartments forbidding pets, and to cats providing relaxing companionship in what may otherwise be a stressful and lonesome urban life. Other forms of pet rental, such as rabbit cafés, are also common in Japan.
There are various types of cat café in Japan. Some feature specific categories of cat such as black cats, fat cats, rare breed cats or ex-stray cats. Every cat café in Japan is required to obtain a license and comply with the strict requirements and regulations of the nation's Animal Treatment and Protection Law.
Japanese cat cafés feature strict rules to ensure cleanliness and animal welfare, in particular seeking to ensure that the cats are not disturbed by excessive and unwanted attention, such as by young children or when sleeping. Many cat cafés also seek to raise awareness of cat welfare issues, such as abandoned and stray cats and many often have cats from local animal shelters to help them lose any fear of humans and advertise them for possible adoption. From 2012 the cats could be displayed until 8 pm, but in 2016 the guidelines of the environment ministry state that they may visit and play with customers until 10 pm.
One café in Tokyo added goats as a way of having a unique element.
The first cat café in Singapore is Cat Café Neko no Niwa (Japanese for ‘Garden of Cat’). As of today, there are more than five cat and dog cafés in the city. The cat cafés are namely Neko no Niwa, The Cat Cafés, The Company of Cats, Meomi Cat Café and Cuddles Cat Café. Neko no Niwa, The Company of Cats and The Cat Café feature cats who were rescued.
The Singaporean Cat Cafes are regulated and licensed by AVA and they are all bound to a 'code of conduct'. Individuals having questions with their cat needs, can join the Cat Welfare Society, which helps with medical fees, sterilization costs or adopting of the cats. Cat Cafes usually have their own/specific houserules.
Cats are popular pets in Taiwan, with the cat population increasing rapidly in recent years. The world's first cat café, named "Cat Flower Garden", opened in Taipei in 1998, where there is also a luxurious "Cathy Hotel" especially for cats. The Taiwanese cat café concept next spread to Japan, and later to most other countries around the world.
Thailand has several cat cafés, most in Bangkok. Cat Cafe by Dome, Cat Up Cafe, Caturday, Cataholic Cafe, The Coffee Cat and Purr Cat Cafe Club are all located in Bangkok. Each serves baked goods with a small menu of main dishes; prices are usually higher than at most cafés but not unreasonably so. They all have rules regarding the behavior of guests towards the cats and have mostly purebred cats. Catmosphere Cat Cafe (offers some drinks and snacks in addition to active playing time with the cats) and Maewmoth cafés are located in Chiang Mai.
According to local legend, the world's first cat café opened in Vienna in the summer of 1912 and ceased operation approximately two years later. It is said that Vladimir Lenin was a regular for a period in 1913, finding the feline companionship a comfort during his time of exile. The cat café is known to have ceased operation shortly after the beginning of the First World War, although the much repeated story that the closure was due to its patriotic owner's donating all the cats to a factory making fur-lined boots for the war effort may be apocryphal.
In 2012 cat café Neko was opened in Vienna.
Le chat touille opened up in Brussels in 2014.
Cafe Miao opened up in Copenhagen in 2014.
The first cat café in Estonia, Kassikohvik Nurri, opened in October 2014 in Tallinn.
The first cat café in Finland, Kissakahvila Purnauskis, opened in November 2014 in Tampere. It is a permanent home for 7 cats.
The second cat café, Kissakahvila Helsinki, opened in July 2015 in Helsinki. It is a permanent home for 6 cats.
Le Café des Chats is a cat café located on 16 Rue Michel le Comte in Paris. This café is a diner that includes desserts, tea, and, of course, cats.
Stubentiger Cafe in Hannover opened in August 2015 with a varied menu, including vegetarian, gluten-free and vegan. In Munich, there is Café Katzentempel. Cologne has Cafe Schnurrke. In Berlin there is Pee Pees Katzencafe  and Zur Mieze 
The first Italian cat café opened in Turin in March 2014; at first it hosted six cats. Its name is MiaGola Café, which in Italian can be interpreted as a language game: literally mia gola can be translated my throat, while miagola (stressed on the first syllable: miàgola) means (he or she) meows.
The cat café in Latvia, MINKA cat cafe, opened in Riga in February 2015. MINKA Cat Cafe is located near the center at Meža street 4a.
The cat café in Lithuania, Cat Cafe Kačių kavinė, opened in Vilnius in October 2014. Cat Cafe is located in cener at Jasinskio str 1. It is one of the biggest cafés with cats in the world. 13 cats live there.
A second cat café, "Miau Café", opened in Warsaw in January 2016. This is a coffee and cake cafe that is also a shelter for homeless cats. It has vegan items on the human menu. The Miau Café came to life thanks to the crowdfunding campaign on the Polish platform, wspieram.to where the 1 700 residents of Warsaw pulled in the financial resources to make the idea of the first cat café in Warsaw come true.
In 2014 Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium opened to significant media attention and a two-month waiting list. Newcastle is now home to Mog on The Tyne Cat Café and Willow Cat Cafe. Nottingham has a cat café called Kitty Café. Several other UK cafes are in the planning.
The first cat café to open in North America was Le Café des Chats/Cat Café Montreal in Montreal, Canada, which opened its doors to the public in August 2014.
Following the opening of the first Canadian cat café, Le Café des Chats in August 2014; Café Chat L'Heureux (also in Montreal) opened in September 2014 with 8 cats adopted from local shelters.
Saturday, October 17, 2015 saw the opening of Ontario's first cat café located in Guelph, Ontario. Being the first to follow the only other Canadian cat cafés at the time, all located in Montreal.
Also, there is a new cat café that will open during July 2015 in Chelsea, a small municipality near of Ottawa, named the Siberian Cat Café. This cat café is particular, because it only shelter Siberian cats, making it the first hypoallergenic cat café in the world.
Cat cafés in the United States differ from those in many other countries by their focus on adoptions. Hundreds of animals have been adopted through their efforts. In some cases, adoptions are completed for customers visiting on vacation. The Cat Cafe in San Diego has completed adoptions for customers visiting from Nebraska, the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, and Pennsylvania.
Also, in the United States, compliance with governmental food service regulations is required. The area where the cats are playing or being considered for adoption must be entirely separated from the area where food and drink are served. For example, a newly adopted cat must leave through a separate door without passing a food serving area.
KitTea was the first cat café to announce its plans to open in the United States. The news was first leaked via an article posted via The Laughing Squid and SFIST on January 22, 2014. Although KitTea was unable to open as the first cat café due to raised rents and construction delays, they are proudly known as the first and only cat café in San Francisco, California. On June 24, 2015, KitTea finally opened its doors to the anticipating public and continues to support cats from Wonder Cat Rescue and the ACC in San Francisco.
The Cat Town Café opened in October 2014 and is a "cross between a coffee shop and an adoption center" in Oakland, California. They were soon followed in December 2014 by Planet Tails Cat Café in Naples, Florida; and in quick succession by Denver Cat Company in Denver, Colorado; Meow Parlour in New York City; The Cat Café in San Diego, California; Purringtons Cat Lounge in Portland, Oregon; and Calico Nook in Franklin, Massachusetts.
In June 2015, the Crumbs and Whiskers cat café opened in Washington, D.C., where it partnered with the local chapter of the Humane Society; this café provides a boarding space for around 15–25 cats at a time, all of which are provided by the Humane Society and made available for adoption.
In May 2015, Grand Rapids, Michigan, announced Happy Cat Cafe will open sometime in 2016. They are hoping to partner with The Humane Society of West Michigan. The cafe raised $26,821 on Kickstarter with 549 backers.
In May 2015, The Dancing Cat opened a café in San Jose, California as a temporary prototype. Originally intended for a one-month run, it extended its initial time period until November 15, 2015. Its original founders re-opened at the same location in May 2016 as an initiative of the Silicon Valley Pet Project,a nonprofit animal rescue organization.
In March 2016, Cat Cafe Mad opened in Madison, Wisconsin.
In the summer of 2016, Ashley Brooks will be opening "Pounce Cat Cafe + Wine Bar" in Charleston, South Carolina. Pounce has partnered with the largest animal shelter in Charleston, Charleston Animal Society.
In the summer of 2016, Kitty Brew Cafe will be opening in West Chester, Ohio. Kitty Brew will partner with the Butler County Animal Friend's Humane Society to provide premium cafe drinks and a cat lounge to hang out with adoptable cats.
- "New words in oxforddictionaries". Retrieved 28 August 2015.
"Manspreading, hangry, Grexit join Oxford online dictionary". Reuters. 27 Aug 2015.
- Nikkei BP : Article on May 2, 2008 (Japanese)
- Lindsey Galloway. "BBC - Travel - Feline fun in Japan’s cat cafes". Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "A Brief History of the Cat Café". Mental Floss. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- Tomo Kosuga. "Meow Meow Meow". VICE. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Tokyo cat cafe shut down for animal neglect", AFP, April 22 2016.
- "Tokyo's rabbit cafes hopping with customers." The Japan Times. February 16, 2012. Retrieved on July 13, 2013.
- Iwata, Mamiko, All About : Article on March 7, 2010 (Japanese)
- Cats at Japan’s ‘cat cafes’ now allowed to stay up till 10pm April 28, 2016 News.com.au Retrieved May 3, 2016
- "Tokyo cafe employs goats to add 'wow factor' - video." Reuters at The Guardian. July 11, 2013. Retrieved on July 13, 2013.
- "Cat cafés in Singapore: boon or bane for cats?". Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Which of the 3 cat cafes in S’pore is the best?". Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Five Cat Cafés That Have Taken Over Singapore And Why You Need To Visit Them - MustShareNews.com". MustShareNews.com. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "The Cat Cafe Houserules". Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "Cat Cafe Neko no Niwa". Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "AVA investigates allegations of animal deaths at cat cafe". Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Taiwan’s love affair with cats purrs ahead".
- Galloway, Lindsey (2012-04-03). "Travel - Feline fun in Japan’s cat cafes". BBC. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- Lemmin, Ulrike (2014-06-16). "Cat-ching! Cat cafes take over world - CNN.com". Edition.cnn.com. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Dogs, Cats, Lattes: Bangkok's Best Pet Cafes". BK Magazine Online. Retrieved 2015-11-24.
- "Cats With Your Cappuccino?". Chiang Mai Citylife. Retrieved 2015-11-24.
- "Vidéo: A Paris, le Café des chats invite les clients à un moment de ronron" (in French). France TV. 24 September 2013.
- "STUBENTIGER CAFE - Café". Stubentiger Cafe Hannover. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Cafe Schnurrke - erstes und einziges Katzencafe in Köln". Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "In Neukölln, Drink Your Latte With The House Cat". NPR Berlin Morning Edition. 14 November 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "Katzenmusikcafe Zur Mieze".
- "CatCafe Budapest". Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Catcafe - Macska kávézó". Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- Mariotti, Antonella (March 21, 2015). "Sei gatti "seduti" al MiaGola Café a intrattenere i clienti". La Stampa (in Italian).
- "Get the Purrr-fect Snack in These Cat Cafés Around the World". Yahoo Travel. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- Alessandra Magliaro. "Cat cafe, from Japan to Italy was born the trend". ANSA LIfestyle. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Durvis vērusi Latvijā pirmā kaķu kafejnīca". Delfi. February 18, 2015. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Vilniaus centre kurs kačių kavinę". Time Out. February 6, 2014. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Pieters, Janene (22 April 2015). "Amsterdam Cat Cafe Opens Today". NL Times.
- "Kattencafé opent de deuren". NU. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Timeline Photos - Kocia Kawiarnia Kociarnia - Facebook". Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Miau Cafe". Warsaw Insider. 3 February 2016. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Miau Cafe". HappyCow. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Aici vii să bei cafeaua şi pleci cu mâţa la pachet" [You come to have a coffee, you leave with a cat to go]. Click! (in Romanian) (Adevărul Holding). July 3, 2015. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- Hângănuț, Radu (March 10, 2016). "Nou în Cluj: Lady Cat, o cafenea închinată Măriei Sale, pisica" [New in Cluj: Lady Cat, a coffe house dedicated to Her Royal Highness, the cat]. Transilvania Reporter (in Romanian) (Transilvania Reporter Media). Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- "Feline like a coffee? St Petersburg cafe offers customers the chance to enjoy a hot drink... while patting the in-house cats". Mail Online. 21 October 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "What's Right Meow: This London Café Has Us Feline Groovy - InStyle.com". InStyle.com. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Funding secured for cat café to open in east London". Time Out Blog. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Lady Dinah’s Cat Emporium, Shoreditch - London’s cat café (Condé Nast Traveller)". Traveller. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "London cat cafe opens to two-month waiting list". BBC News. 6 March 2014.
- Coreena Ford (10 July 2015). "Meet the moggy family at Newcastle city centre's new cat cafe Mog on the Tyne". nechronicle. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Moggie-lover opens cat cafe to raise funds for feline shelter". Daily Mail (London). 31 October 2014.
- "Cat Café". Left Lion UK. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- Brugrand, Camilla (20 March 2015). "The rise of cat cafes: the perfect solution for animal lovers who can't have pets". The Independent (London).
- Moran, Lee (12 November 2015). "Move Over Cat Cafes, This Cat Pub Is Taking Over". Huffington Post.
- Garrett, Daniel (21 November 2015). "The pub full of cats bringing feline fans to Bristol". BBC.
- Vesty, Sarah (16 January 2015). "In pictures: Scotland's first cat cafe Maison de Moggy opens its doors in Edinburgh". Daily Record.
- White, Claire (7 April 2015). "Cat cafe Maison de Moggy finds purr-fect home in West Port". STV Edinburgh. Archived from the original on 11 April 2015.
- "Crazy cat ladies rejoice: The first two kitty cafes in North America now open in Montreal - The Boston Globe". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Guelph's first Kitty Café is open for business". Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- Jordan Yerman. "Vancouver's first cat cafe opens in International Village". Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- Torontoist. "Whatever Happened to Those Rival Cat Cafés?". Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Siberian Cat Café". en.cafechatsiberien.com. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Laura McVicker (July 29, 2015). "Tourist Adopts Cat From Cat Cafe on Trip to San Diego". NBC7 San Diego.
- "What’s a Cat Cafe?". Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "KitTea, An Upcoming Cat Cafe in San Francisco". Laughing Squid. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- Keeling, Brock. "BREAKING: Cat Cafe Coming To San Francisco". SFist. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- Phaneuf, Whitney. "Hayes Valley Cat Cafe Is Back On Track, Signs Lease". SFist. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "KIT TEA'S CAT-OPOLY | SAN FRANCISCO'S FIRST AND ONLY CAT CAFE". Beyond Ordinary Guides. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "A trip to S.F.’s KitTea cat cafe". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "America's First Cat Cafe Is Open. Here's What It's Like Inside". Huffington Post. 3 November 2014.
- "The Cat Cafe". The Cat Cafe.
- "Cat Cafe Opens in San Diego". Fox 5 San Diego.
- Caroline Tucker (March 28, 2015). "Cat cafe pounces forward in D.C.". ABC7. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Courtney Pomeroy (March 23, 2015). "D.C.’s Cat Cafe, Crumbs and Whiskers, Makes Strides Toward Opening This Year". CBS. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Rachel Nania (February 18, 2015). "Founder shares plans for D.C.’s first cat café, Crumbs and Whiskers". WTOP. Washington's Top News. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Perry Stein (February 6, 2015). "Meet the woman who left her consulting job to open D.C.’s first cat cafe". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Perry Stein (March 9, 2015). "Not-yet-open D.C. cat cafe raises serious money in 1 day". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Maura Judkis (November 20, 2014). "So, how would a cafe crawling with adorable kittens pass a D.C. health inspection?". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Brody Carter (May 3, 2015). "Cat cafe coming to Grand Rapids?". Fox 17 News. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- Kati Palmurkar (May 3, 2015). "The First Grand Rapids Cat Cafe". Happy Cat Company. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- Kati Palmurkar (May 3, 2015). "Happy Cat Cafe Kickstarter". Happy Cat Company. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- Olivia B. Waxman (August 8, 2015). "Another Cat Cafe Is Opening in New York City". Time. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- "The Dancing Cat". The Dancing Cat. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "UT alumna opens Texas’ first cat cafe". Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Cat For Adoption - Cats To Adopt - Luxury Cat Beds". Blue Cat Cafe. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- Belle, Rachel (16 December 2015). "Seattle Meowtropolitan Cafe is the city's very first cat cafe". My Northwest.com. KIRO radio.
- "Cat Café Helps Connect Felines to Forever Families". NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- "Cat café offers hands-on adoption right meow | North Texas Daily". ntdaily.com. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- Journal, The Lewisville Texan. "Charming Cat Corner opens at Vista Ridge Mall - Local News, Notes and Events - News and Opinion - The Lewisville Texan Journal". lewisvilletexan.com. Retrieved 2016-02-10.
- "Attention cat lovers: "Cat café" set to open on Monroe Street in Madison on March 21st". Fox News: Fox6Now. 14 March 2016. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "Yes, Charleston might get a cat cafe". Charleston City Paper. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Pounce Cat Cafe". Pounce Cat Cafe. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Kitty Brew Cafe: Have a cup, save a life". Kitty Brew. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Elizabeth Rosales. "Inauguran el primer "Cat Café" de Tijuana".
- Nicole Lawton. "What's New Zealand's first cat cafe really like?".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cat cafés.|
- Tokyo's cat cafes, Global Post
- Cat cafe soothes Tokyo's busy feline lovers, Reuters
- Tokyo's cat cafes offer serenity in the city, Christian Science Monitor
- San Diego Cat Cafe Could be First in Country, NBC 7 San Diego
- Cat Cafe Opens In San Diego, Fox 5 San Diego
- San Diego's Very Own Cat Cafe, San Diego 6
- A cat café in Vancouver: The fuzzy face of economic diversity, The Vancouver Observer
- Edinburgh Cat Cafe gets new home
- Cat Cafe Review Bangkok
- Video of Edinburgh cat cafe
- Is Happy Cat Cafe a prrrfect fit for Grand Rapids?
- Is Grand Rapids purrrfect for a Cat Cafe?
- First Cat Cafe opens in Helsinki