Catanzaro Sala funicular station
|Locale||Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy|
|Owner||City of Catanzaro|
|Operator(s)||Azienda per Mobilitatà della Città di Catanzaro|
|Line length||678 m (2,224 ft)|
The Catanzaro funicular (Italian: Funicolare di Catanzaro) is a funicular railway in the city of Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy. It connects the upper part of the city, at Piazza Roma, with Catanzaro Sala via an intermediate stop at Piano Casa. The line carries some 580,000 passengers per year.
The current line opened in 1998, using the trackbed and tunnel of the funicular section of the former Automotofunicolare di Catanzaro, a hybrid electric tramway and funicular that operated between 1910 and 1954. The reopened line was operated by the Ferrovie della Calabria, whose concession expired in 2014. The line closed in mid-2014 due to the poor condition of the infrastructure, and in November of that year, the city of Catanzaro issued a request to tender for an upgrade to the funicular. Work costing €0.5 million was undertaken to fit new surveillance, control and communications equipment, and the line reopened on 12 November 2016.
|Number of stops||3 (2 termini; 1 intermediate)|
|Configuration||Single track with passing loop|
|Length||678 m (2,224 ft)|
|Height||158 m (518 ft)|
|Number of cars||2|
|Capacity||70 passengers per car|
|Maximum speed||7 m/s (23 ft/s)|
|Trip time||130 seconds|
- "Funicolare" (in Italian). Municipality of Catanazo. Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Cacozza, Marco (March 2015). "Catanzaro funicular to be upgraded". Today's Railways Europe (231). Platform 5 Publishing Ltd. p. 16.
- Cacozza, Marco (2003). "La tranvia di Catanzaro". Tutto treno & storia (in Italian) (10). pp. 36–49.
- Cacozza, Marco (February 2017). "Catanzaro funicular reopens". Today's Railways Europe (254). Platform 5 Publishing Ltd. p. 17.
- Media related to Catanzaro funicular at Wikimedia Commons