Catch Bull at Four
|Catch Bull at Four|
|Studio album by Cat Stevens|
|Released||27 September 1972|
The Manor Studio, Oxfordshire;
Château d'Hérouville, Hérouville, France;
Morgan Studios, London
|Genre||Folk-rock, soft rock|
|Cat Stevens chronology|
|Rolling Stone||(Favorable) |
All songs written by Cat Stevens except as noted.
- "Sitting" – 3:14
- "Boy with a Moon & Star on His Head" – 5:57
- "Angelsea" – 4:30
- "Silent Sunlight" – 3:00
- "Can't Keep It In" – 2:59
- "18th Avenue (Kansas City Nightmare)" – 4:21
- "Freezing Steel" – 3:40
- "O Caritas" (Andreas Toumazis, Jeremy Taylor, Stevens) – 3:41
- "Sweet Scarlet" – 3:49
- "Ruins" – 4:24
- Cat Stevens – piano, Fender Rhodes electric piano, Wurlitzer electric piano, minimoog, Böhm Diamond organ, Spanish guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric mandolin, RMI Electra piano, synthesizer, penny whistle, drums, percussion, vocals, backing vocals
- Alun Davies – acoustic guitar, Spanish guitar, backing vocals
- Alan James – bass, backing vocals
- Jean Roussel – piano, Hammond organ
- Gerry Conway – drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Andreas Toumazis – bouzouki on "O Caritas"
- C.S. Choir – backing vocals on "Freezing Steel" and "O Caritas"
- Linda Lewis – backing vocals on "Angelesea"
- Lauren Cooper - backing vocals on "Angelesea"
- Del Newman – string arrangements
- Jeremy Taylor - spanish guitar, who assisted in translating "O' Caritas" into the Latin language used in the song.
Producer - Paul Samwell-Smith
Catch Bull at Four was well received both commercially and critically. Rolling Stone Magazine was satisfied with the "gorgeous melody and orchestration", while simultaneously disappointed by the lack of a single track comparable to "Morning Has Broken" from Teaser and the Firecat.
- Ruhlmann, William. Catch Bull at Four at AllMusic
- Rolling Stone review
- zen, 10 bulls by Kakuan
- Connolly, Dave Review and Information regarding Catch Bull At Four
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2012-02-24
- "dutchcharts.nl Cat Stevens – Catch Bull at Four" (ASP). dutchcharts.nl (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste : Cat Stevens". infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2012-02-24. Note: user must select 'Cat STEVENS' from drop-down
- "Hit Parade Italia - Gli album più venduti del 1972" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "norwegiancharts.com Cat Stevens – Catch Bull at Four" (ASP). Hung Medien. VG-lista. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Chart Stats - Cat Stevens – Catch Bull at Four" (PHP). UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "allmusic ((( Catch Bull at Four > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Album Search: Cat Stevens – Catch Bull at Four" (ASP) (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Les Albums (CD) de 1972 par InfoDisc" (PHP) (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "Top Pop Albums of 1973". billboard.biz. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "American album certifications – Cat Stevens – Catch Bull at Four". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Slade Alive! by Slade
|Australian Kent Music Report number-one album
23 October – 10 December 1972
Slayed? by Slade
Never a Dull Moment by Rod Stewart
|Canadian RPM 100 number-one album
11 – 18 November 1972
Old Dan's Records
by Gordon Lightfoot
Super Fly by Curtis Mayfield
|U.S. Billboard 200 number-one album
18 November – 8 December 1972
Seventh Sojourn by The Moody Blues