July 24, 1961 |
|Notable works||Sweep Series|
Cate Tiernan (born July 24, 1961) is the pen name of Gabrielle Charbonnet, an American author.
Writing as Cate Tiernan, she is best known for her Sweep series, which follows the Wiccan adventures of a cast of high school students. The stories are sold as the Wicca series in the UK, Belgium, The Netherlands and Australia, and as White Magic (Magie Blanche) in Italy and France. Under her own name, she is chiefly known for children's books in the Princess, American Gold Gymnasts, and Disney Girls series. In 2008 and 2009, Charbonnet collaborated with author James Patterson on two "young adult" novels, Sundays at Tiffany's and Witch & Wizard.
- 1 Life
- 2 Works
- 3 Bibliography
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Charbonnet was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, in 1961. She began her college education at New York University studying writing and Russian language and literature, then transferred to Loyola University in New Orleans, where she graduated with a degree in Russian. She began her career as an assistant to the head of the Juvenile Audio and Video department at Random House in New York City, where she wrote her first children's books. She also participated in the editing of The Secret Circle by L.J. Smith during this period.
After 8 years in New York, Charbonnet and her husband moved back to New Orleans, where they began a family (2 daughters) and she embarked on her Sweep series. While not a Wiccan herself, she asserts that she "can really relate to Wicca", and appreciates its "woman-centeredness and its essentially female identity."
- Snakes Are Nothing to Sneeze At (Henry Holt & Company, 1990)
- Boodil, My Dog (Henry Holt & Company, 1992)
- Tutu Much Ballet (Henry Holt & Company, 1994)
The Princess Trilogy
- Molly's Heart
- The Room in the Attic
- Home at Last
(Scholastic Inc., 1995)
American Gold Gymnasts Miniseries
- Split Decision
- Balancing Act
- Competition Fever
- The Bully Coach
(Bantam Doubleday Dell, 1996)
The Disney Girls Series
- One of Us
- Attack of the Beast
- And Sleepy Makes Seven
- A Fish Out of Water
- Cinderella's Castle
- One Pet Too Many
- Adventure in Walt Disney World
- Beauty's Revenge
- Good-bye, Jasmine?
- Princess of Power
- The Gum Race
- The Divine Miss Ariel
(Disney Press, 1998–99)
- 101 Dalmatians: Escape From DeVil Mansion (Disney Press, 1996)
- Hercules: I Made Herc a Hero (Disney Press, 1997)
- The Lion King: Just Can’t Wait to be King (Disney Press, 1998)
The Sweep series (writing as Cate Tiernan)
- Book of Shadows
- The Coven
- Blood Witch
- Dark Magick
- The Calling
- Full Circle
- Night's Child
Balefire (writing as Cate Tiernan)
- A Chalice of Wind
- A Circle of Ashes
- A Feather of Stone
- A Necklace of Water
Immortal Beloved (trilogy as Cate Tiernan)
- Immortal Beloved (September 2010)
- Darkness Falls (January 2012)
- Eternally Yours (2012)
Birthright (writing as Cate Tiernan)
- Darkest Fear (January 7, 2014)
- Darkest Night (July 7, 2016) PUBLISHING DELAYED due to Cate's mother regrettably passing away.
- Darkheart (release date not set)
- "Sweep series." Amazon.com Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- "About Gabrielle Charbonnet." FantasticFiction.co.uk Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- Patterson, James and Charbonnet, Gabrielle: Sundays at Tiffany's. Little Brown, 2008. ISBN 0-316-01477-X
- Patterson, James and Charbonnet, Gabrielle: Witch & Wizard. Little Brown, 2009. ISBN 0-316-03624-2
- Bio: CateTiernan.org Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- "About Cate Tiernan." FireFairy.com Archived April 17, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- "About Me." GabrielleCharbonnet.com Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- "About My Work." GabrielleCharbonnet.com Archived June 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-07-01
- Cate Tiernan Website – Tiernan's Official Website