Category:CS1 errors: ISBN
This is a tracking categoryIt is used to build and maintain lists of pages—primarily for the sake of the lists themselves and their use in article and category maintenance. They are not part of the encyclopedia's categorization scheme.
|Administrators: Please do not delete this category even if it is empty!|
This category may be empty occasionally or even most of the time.
This is a tracking category for CS1 citations that have ISBN errors.
|isbn= value: <type>
Citation Style 1 and Citation Style 2 templates that contain
|isbn= are checked to ensure that the ISBN is the proper length (ten or thirteen digits), that the ISBN uses the correct optional separators (simple space or hyphen), and that the final check digit is correct according to the ISBN specification. Only one ISBN is allowed in this field because the whole
|isbn= value is included in the citation's COinS metadata. See also Wikipedia:COinS. More than one ISBN, or characters that are not part of the ISBN, corrupt the COinS metadata and may also corrupt the link to Special:BookSources.
The error message <type> indicator can be:
- length – ISBN is not 10 or 13 digits
- checksum – ISBN has one or more incorrect digits; look for typos and transposition
- invalid character – ISBN has one or more 'digits' that is not in the allowed set appropriate to ISBN length
- invalid prefix – 13-digit ISBNs must begin with '978' or '979'
- invalid form – 10-digit ISBNs with the mis-positioned 'X' character
To resolve this error, ensure that the
|isbn= value is correct, that only one ISBN is used, that the proper optional separators are used, and that no other text is included. Use the 13-digit ISBN when it is available. When a 10-digit ISBN is used, if the check digit is a lowercase 'x', change it to an uppercase 'X'.
- Do not try to resolve the error by simply recalculating the check digit. The check digit is there to check whether the main part of the number is correct. If the ISBN is failing to validate, it is likely that there is a typo in the main part of the number. In this case, recalculating the check digit results in an apparently valid ISBN that leads to the wrong source (or to nowhere).
- If you only have a 10-digit ISBN, do use the number as-is, do not try to convert it to the 13-digit form.
- If the ISBN as printed in your source is refusing to validate, do check both the front matter and the book cover for ISBNs. It is not uncommon for the ISBN to be misprinted in the front matter but correct on the cover.
- Do preview your edit and check that the new ISBN does now link to the correct source.
In very rare cases, publishers have released books with malformed ISBNs. If you are certain that a non-conforming ISBN truly corresponds to the published work, then you can add
|ignore-isbn-error=true to the citation in order to suppress the error message. In many cases, books may have been reissued with a corrected ISBN. Use a corrected ISBN when possible.
Sometimes there are numbers assigned to
|isbn= that appear to be legitimate – length is right, check digit is correct – but that aren't true ISBN numbers. This tool may be helpful.
See also Wikipedia:ISBN.
Pages with this error are automatically placed in Category:CS1 errors: ISBN.[a]
- Pages in the Book talk, Category talk, Draft, Draft talk, Education Program talk, File talk, Help talk, MediaWiki talk, Module talk, Portal talk, Talk, Template talk, TimedText talk, User, User talk, and Wikipedia talk namespaces are not included in the error tracking categories.
Pages in category "CS1 errors: ISBN"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of approximately 227 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).(previous page) (next page)
- Draft:Accelerated experiential dynamic psychotherapy
- Acts of the Apostles
- African Theatre
- Battle of Ager Sanguinis
- Draft:Aircrack Caesar Cipher using Baiji algorithm
- Alice Ming Wai Jim
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Ryka Aoki
- Apma language
- Draft:Arctic Geopolitics
- Argentine peso
- Aso Shrine
- Atel (slang)
- Draft:August 1904 tornado outbreak
- Baby shower
- Barbie and the Three Musketeers
- Draft:Barbie and the Three Musketeers (video game)
- Battle of Marawi
- Battle of the Atlantic
- Bayryasova Kisyakbika
- Benjamin Jacobs (dentist)
- Benjamin Thompson (architect)
- Bessie Harvey
- Bognor Regis railway station
- Bolesław Wieniawa-Długoszowski
- Brenda Eichelberger
- Stephen Brookfield
- Taras Bulba-Borovets
- Draft:Leading U.S Businesses as of 2019
- Lectorium Rosicrucianum
- Lenny Bruce
- Li Huayi
- Liane de Pougy
- List of fact-finding reports on human rights in North Korea
- List of LGBT Academy Award winners and nominees
- List of male performers in gay porn films
- Little House on the Prairie
- Lloyd Williams and Underwood
- Draft:Louise Stanger
- Draft:Lynn Saville
- Maida Vale
- Marlene (1984 film)
- Draft:Martin Korte
- Max Abramovitz
- Maximal independent set
- Medha rishi
- Methven, Perth and Kinross
- Michelangelo phenomenon
- Michele Catti
- Mike González (catcher)
- Mir Mosharraf Hossain
- Mirza Muhammad Khan I
- Draft:Mohamed El-Nabawi El-Mohandes
- Draft:Mohammad Shaikh
- Mono River
- Muley Xeque
- Museum of hunting and fishing (Moscow)
- Muu Blanco
- Pacific Biological Station
- Paddy Chayefsky
- Palace and Patriarchal Cathedral of Buenos Aires (Lisbon)
- Pamela Cunningham Copeland
- Pandanus language
- Paul Desmond
- Paul Hudak
- Peganum harmala
- Draft:Pessah Shinar
- Draft:Philip Alexander Bell
- Draft:Philip P. Foster
- Draft:Photography in Washington D.C.
- Henri Pieck
- Pohjois-Haaga mass grave
- Pola Weiss Álvarez
- Draft:Portfolio Management Software
- Prithvi Narayan Shah
- Draft:Samadhi Vaishaya
- Draft:Samantha Ruth
- Mikhail Samarsky
- Samia Gamal
- Draft:Natori Sana
- Battle of Sarmin
- Sati (practice)
- Second term of the presidency of Ferdinand Marcos
- Draft:Shree Shivkrupanand Swami
- Draft:Sisir Kumar Bose
- Skalnate Pleso Atlas of the Heavens
- Draft:Socialism in Argentina
- Software development effort estimation
- South African Local Government Association
- Spice Lisp
- Draft:Stefan Ćertić
- Milan Stojadinović
- Draft:Sugar House Island